Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 69 Camaro with stock power steering and of course it is a bit sloppy. too much play. As I am reading posts, I have heard of replacing the steering box with a 3rd gen steering box which also can make it about 2.5 turns end to end which is less than stock. I would like that. I ran into a guy in a '68 Camaro that said he got a direct replacement from Detroit Speed that looked exactly like stock but new and tight and closer ratio. I was also informed to look at Borgeson brand but cannot find Camaro replacments.

Any way: without going to a junkyard, anyone done this upgrade and can point me to a part number of the Detroit speed or borgeson or other brand version that is a direct bolt in replacement not requiring significant modifications? Or more info on this upgrade?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Start reading here...lots of good info within this thread and others. http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/199736-swap-3rd-gen-iroc-camaro-steering-box-into-1st-gen-camaro.html

I used the Cardone 27-6550 box from Advance Auto. Sign up for SpeedPerks and use code SCW267 for 30% off. You can pick up at your local Advance/Carquest.

I used the hose adapters from Lee Manufacturing and the Dorman 31011 coupler.

There are other more expensive options out there if price is not a factor.

Edit...found another link...

http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/103139-3rd-gen-steering-box-awesome.html

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start reading here...lots of good info within this thread and others. http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/199736-swap-3rd-gen-iroc-camaro-steering-box-into-1st-gen-camaro.html

I used the Cardone 27-6550 box from Advance Auto. Sign up for SpeedPerks and use code SCW267 for 30% off. You can pick up at your local Advance/Carquest.

I used the hose adapters from Lee Manufacturing and the Dorman 31011 coupler.

There are other more expensive options out there if price is not a factor.

Edit...found another link...

http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/103139-3rd-gen-steering-box-awesome.html

So all in all I would need a 1) new steering box (whichever I choose $200-$800) and 2) a 'rag coupler' which changes from 7/8 to a 3/4 shaft I believe and then 3) hose adapters to be able to utilize my current hoses that would couple to the newer METRIC fittings? does this sound about right?

·
Registered
355 Posts
That should be it. I figured the cheap box was worth the risk. I kept the old steering box just in case. I did notice a reduction in return to center as others described, but the new steering feel is worth it. I am not sure if the new performance gears have the same problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 'return to center' issue is that you feel that you have to manually return the car to center straight rather than the car finding center on it's own?
also does the new box that you have LOOK exactly like the original so I won't have to worry about fitment, headers etc.???

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
813 Posts
I used a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee PS box which is 100% interchangeable with the same Borgenson adapters and the rag joint. I love the feel. What a difference. And it only cost me $40 from a local guy who was parting out a wrecked JGC with just about 95-100K on it.

BTW, I seem to recall that Dave Pozzi said the '84 and up PS boxes that _are_ candidates are about 1/8" wider. Bought my headers used, they had the "dent" and they fit. I'm a budget hot rodder LOL.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Correct on your description of the return to center issue. It may have been just variance in the casting, but the new box is about 1/8" closer to the header. Not a huge difference if you have that much room to spare. I haven't read any prior comments about a difference in size. The Cardone box comes dipped in a black coating. I scuffed, cleaned and shot it with "cast iron" color VHT engine enamel. I have also read that the Gen 3 box requires more pressure than the older pumps produce (1200 vs. 900). This will give a tighter steering feel. Like I said, I am happy with the steering feel of the conversion. If you search the Cardone part number (27-6550), you will find additional posts on the conversion; some positive and some not so much.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I bought one of the Cardone boxes and I can tell you they are not the same as the IROC boxes. I ended up sending mine to Lee Manufacturing and the changed it up so I would get the good road feel and then did a dyno test on it and its good to go.

If I was you I would call Lee Manufacturing as they can redo your factory one and set it up the same as the IROC and probably for less then you might think.

Rich

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
813 Posts
As noted before, I went the budget route... got about a 90% improvement with the JGC box. It was in pretty good shape when I got it, but I wire brushed it, metal etch primed it and then did a couple coats of hammertone black. Polished and clear coated the end caps for kicks. Here's a collage with specs:

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went with this AGR fast ratio box from summit. It was a direct replacement and fit with all my existing power steering set up. I love the feel of the steering. The price has gone way up since i bought mine about a year ago. I paid $380 on sale. For $545 i might prefer to pay just a little more and have lee steering rebuild my original box.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/agr-292117

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
thanks for the feedback!! great info. I do wonder why the CARDONE version is less than $200 and the Detroit speed version is $800. I realize that one is re-manufactured but wow!!!!
Because the Cardone is a P.O.S. that you don't know what kind of torsion bar has been put in along with any other rebuilds. 50-50 you get a good one. If you can't figure out the DSE box is a brand new GM piece and is why it costs so much......

Did you read the stickys on the subject? Hard to believe that a swap that has been gone over and over on how to do it for the last twenty years and has been scienced out still gets questioned by guys looking for shortcuts or are afraid to get their hands dirty in a junkyard..

:frown2:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you read the stickys on the subject? Hard to believe that a swap that has been gone over and over on how to do it for the last twenty years and has been scienced out still gets questioned by guys looking for shortcuts or are afraid to get their hands dirty in a junkyard..

:frown2:
ouch! :)
Actually i don't have a junkyard near but I'd always rather buy new parts...and my reading did prompt questions and making sure I'm using the most UTD info. Things do change ;)

·
10,144 Posts
If you change to a later model PS box from an early model, the rag joint is smaller on the later boxes. The ports can be adapted with screw in adapters or you can press in inserts into the ports to allow stock hoses to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
ouch! :)
Actually i don't have a junkyard near but I'd always rather buy new parts...and my reading did prompt questions and making sure I'm using the most UTD info. Things do change ;)
You should be ashamed of yourself TJ!

This seems to be a sore subject for Chet. Just explore your options and make the right choice for yourself. I did and I am happy.

Good luck, Mike.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
You should be ashamed of yourself TJ!

This seems to be a sore subject for Chet. Just explore your options and make the right choice for yourself. I did and I am happy.

Good luck, Mike.
Sore? Hardly. Perplexed? Very. This is a swap that has been done for years, is totally sussed out, and is the cheapest way to get it done. Those of use who have done additional research to find out that a builder like Lares does not put the proper torsion bar in their boxe (yeah there's a sticky out there), to find a better way than inserts or using SAE threaded fittings (yeah, there's a thread out there on the subject), don't like to see our research pooh-poohed

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
Sore? Hardly. Perplexed? Very. This is a swap that has been done for years, is totally sussed out, and is the cheapest way to get it done. Those of use who have done additional research to find out that a builder like Lares does not put the proper torsion bar in their boxe (yeah there's a sticky out there), to find a better way than inserts or using SAE threaded fittings (yeah, there's a thread out there on the subject), don't like to see our research pooh-poohed
Maybe a vendor/person with a lot of time on their hands could make a parts list of needed items for their particular vehicle and sell as a kit?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts