·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,175 Posts
Yes, they came with the headliner. I bought and installed mine back in 2015.
Perhaps they made improvements since then which do not require spacers...

You should give TMI a call.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I didn’t get any spacers with mine.

Don

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred and Don, Thanks for the replies. Heck I didn't even get instructions
so I'm going by TMI's online instructions, the install threads here and
common sense. The online instructions don't mention the spacers nor
do they mention removing the original front and rear retainer strips.
Did you guys remove those strips ? I've had no luck getting a response
from TMI for anything.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I removed the retainer strips. I had instructions but not sure where they are now.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Thanks Don. It seemed correct to remove them so I did last night.
I'll give it a go here in a while.
The install is pretty easy. Just need some spring clamps.

Don

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just adding some info and documentation to this process. I'm using the factory dome light
and found the provided hole in the headliner is not large enough for the light base and does
not allow access to the mounting screw holes. Of course I discovered this after installation so
I nibbled out the headliner in a rectangle fashion using side cutters. It's not pretty but it's
covered by the light base. No pics of that. It would have been beneficial if a template were
to be included for this purpose. To remove the original retainer strip clips I used a cotter pin
extracting tool. The retainer clips are held in place via the center tabs. Using this method none
of the clips were destroyed. Hopefully I can finish the installation today.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed mine a little over a month ago and I had plastic spacers for the visors in mine. Installation was easy, just need a second set of hands to hold it up until you can get the clamps in place. Big improvement over the original.
Thanks for the input Greg. Seems strange not all of the headliners ship with the spacers.
Mine lays pretty tight at the visor mounts so I really don't see the need.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still working on the install. I got involved in 3 other unexpected projects yesterday.
Looks like I may have to ditch the original bright trim and go with the standard flexible
windlace. The headliner's not playing nice with the clips. Also so far the pillar covers
are fitting like crap. Did you guys have problems with the pillar covers ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just wanted to add that NOW is the time to add some insulation above the headliner - it makes a huge difference in how cool the car stays and a big reduction in sound.
I put 2" thick pink onto the top of the TMI headliner using 3M spray adhesive before installing.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I remeber a post in another TMI headliner install as someone saying they dont reproduce or sell the T clips for the rear retainer strips
Had these for years now

Attachments

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problems with TMI quality just continues. On the left side sail panel the fiberglass bracket
that locks into the headliner is not located correctly. The pics speak for themselves. I'll
figure something out for that. Maybe just screw it in place and then match the other side
to it. The extra work this kind of thing takes is just ridiculous and shouldn't be required if
quality control was in place. I realize this an aftermarket product but still not a good excuse.
The right side sail panel went in pretty well. I did add a screw in the upper rear corner. Others
have done the same and it doesn't look out of place. I will either cap it or paint it eventually.
The bright trim is not fully installed yet. I'm trying to document this as much as I can for
others to benefit.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little more documentation as this install progress's. I hot glued a couple of brackets I had laying around
(I keep that kind of stuff) to the left side sail panel. I also had to add a screw to the sail panel just below
the coat hook. I'll add one to the right side to match. The upper rear corner sail panel/headliner joint was
a bad mismatch. I peeled back the vinyl and clipped out some of the fiberglass and rolled the vinyl in. Then
I noticed a large gap in the rear between the headliner and roof. The only fix for that was too add a couple of
screws. They don't look out of place and again I'll either cap or paint them red. Even new cars have some type
of fasteners on the headliners. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been in and out of the car doing
this install. I ordered windlace today as the original bright trim just won't work with the headliner or pillar covers.
The pillar covers are yet another story. Right now they fit like a saddle on a sow. I won't even post pictures
they're so bad. I'll try to figure that out tomorrow. Any input on what you guys did with the pillar covers would be
appreciated. I sure hope others benefit from this documentation as at least for me, this is not a 1hr install and
don't expect everything to just fall into place.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Below is the link to my thread on this.

It begins as a general thread on headliner selection, but the final page (page3) has PICs of the TMI I selected and ended up installing.

I also used screws in various places to keep it snug and secure to the roof of the car. I used the black plastic *screw caps* on my screws to help blend in color-wise. You may or may not like the look, but it's an option.

I too used pink fiberglass insulation. I also used the adhesive backed, rubberized, foil covered insulation directly on the metal roof.

I have no spacers for the visor mount or center mirror (visor latch) mount.

I am very happy with the overall choice of TMI and final installation in my car. :smile2:

I should add: I did have to do some trimming of the pillar covers. This simply involved pulling back the vinyl cover to trim the fiberglass ends ( then reset the vinyl cover) to get the perfect matched fit up at the headliner contact line. It was not difficult to accomplish.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-interiors/433386-headliner-options-3.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts