Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a Q-jet on my 68 SB I want to get a stock looking air cleaner with decal. Did any 327 come with dual snorkel? I don't see one in the Assembly manual or Shop manuals but Classic Industries sells one that they say is for a 68 327 4 barrel.

I'm not looking for numbers matching but I like the stock look and I think the dual snorkel looks cooler than the single.

What decal would be on it? Would it be like one in the pics? I'm thinking I'd use a 327/275 HP.

Is there any difference in connecting the PCV to the air cleaner rather than the carb base?

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 327 210hp
47 Posts
What air cleaner does Classic Industries sell for a 68? I only see one for 67. I just went through this last month. I went from a 327 2bbl 210hp to a Quadrajet 4bbl. That would be considered an L30 option. That is a 1year only air cleaner that is extremely hard to find and the breather hose is even harder to find. I purchased the 67 repro version and it does not fit. The base is too deep and hits the thermostat housing on the intake. I found an original restored air cleaner from Musclecaraircleaners.com. They also had an original breather hose with nipple. It was not cheap but came with the required decals installed and nicely restored. I would contact them and see if they have another.
I can send you a picture of mine installed if you like.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may have an old catalog. There's no date it that I can see. The air cleaner is part # KW725 listed on page 476 under Air Cleaners and Parts but it doesn't show up online now. They do have a replacement lid part # KW462 that now says it is for 67 and 70-72. My old catalog specifically says the KW725 is for 1968 327 4 barrel and 69-72 350 with 4 barrel.

I wasn't aware this was going to be an issue. I guess I'll stay with my Edelbrock open element. I would like to see a pic of an original. If you don't mind email it to [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
And the kw725 is for use on the center pivot float holley carb z28 engines so won’t fit correctly with a quadrajet. There is a quadrajet version available but it’s for a 73 z28. Still dual snorkle but designed to fit around the l82 engines which had hi rise intakes.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would that 73 Z28 cleaner fit a Q-jet on an Edelbrock Performer intake (not a Performer RPM)? That intake seems a little more high rise than a stock cast iron one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would that 73 Z28 cleaner fit a Q-jet on an Edelbrock Performer intake (not a Performer RPM)? That intake seems a little more high rise than a stock cast iron one.
I think you’d have the same clearance issues as the L82 hi-rise manifold is similar in height to the earlier z28 intakes just cast iron. I know they made spacers for 70 chevelle cowl aircleaners as the manifold was a low rise affair to fit the f body car also- manybe that would work under the L82 base? With the rpm Manifold I think the L82 aircleaner would fit perfect though.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What intake is that? I like the look. I'm headed out to a junk yard in the country that has mostly 70s and 80s cars. He says he has a pile of air cleaners but didn't think he has any dual snorkels.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the diameter of your cleaner? All of them I saw at the bone yard today were huge and all had that hot air vacuum motor thing. I don't want that. Your's looks so clean without one.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
The diameter is 15". The vacuum actuator is for automatic transmission cars. It connects to the stove pipe at the exhaust manifold. Mine is an automatic car but couldn't find an auto air cleaner or the stove pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is the exact air cleaner I purchased, only with a chrome lid. It does not fit. The diameter is larger and the base is deeper.
Sent you a PM if you haven't seen it yet.

Another question: Would the lid from 2 barrel fit on the base of a 4 barrel if they are both from a 68 (same looking lid but I don't know if the diameter is different).

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is what I created from the local salvage yard.

Correct for the car? ... Nope.

Factory appearance in general? ... You bet

DSC_1985 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

I put in the extension to (and through) the core support. I don't know if that's a good idea or a bad idea, but it's what I did ;)

YMMV

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes I saw your message. I am in Canada and the ebay add states does not ship to Canada. It will also end up being a $700.00 air cleaner once I add on exchange rate, shipping & duties. As long as you don't drive for long periods of time at higher speeds in the rain, the hose through the core support should be ok. Otherwise you risk the chance of sucking water into the air cleaner and through the carb & intake via the grille.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts