Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve saved some money and I think I’m ready to at least go shopping for a painter and a paint shop. I want to ask all of you that have done this task or are painters your self what questions should I be asking besides the obvious like what type of materials (paints and primers) and how long will it take. I have spoke to one painter that was recommended and he was asking if it was going to stay with the same color or change it; the car is silver and I want to stay silver (73 Camaro Z28) and he liked this (he wouldn’t have to do the door jams!). I’m not looking for a show stopping paint job but again I don’t want a hack job… so please help me out with all the questions that you can think of that I should be asking that won’t piss off most painters and paint shops.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
mark,

imho, obtain as many referrals as you possibly can. talk to the referrals and look at the finished vehicles. find out what problems the referrals may have had and how did the shop handle them? inspect closely the finished quality of work. is it what you would expect or is it a hack job? would you be satisfied with it? once you have a "real life" picture of how the shop conducts biz, then get onto the technical stuff.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
99.9% of a good paint job is in the preparation. It takes about 40 minutes to paint a car but untold hours to prepare it depending on condition of the body and surface. Old paint can be left on the car if it is on there solid, sands right and sealed for new paint but in areas that required body work the reworked metal has to be sealed with something like an epoxy primer (undercoat) before being smoothed out with filler and additional coats of epoxy primer or urethane primer, which sands easier then epoxy but also has to be sealed before the paint coats are shot. If the car is prepped, masked, paint and booth provided, a painter must shot 2 to 3 descent coats between flashings, you will be paying him for 1 hour of work. A good painter with every thing provided might do the shoot for $100 or less if you both sit down and discuss the shoot over a beer. A painter always needs a helper to handle the air hose and good eyes to observe the shoot. This could be your job if you think you can handle it.

Epoxy Undercoats costs approx $60/qt and 1 gal of Imron Costs approx $400. Shop time and all the related costs for preparation is expensive if you do not have the facilities, time and talent to do it yourself; but that $100 cost for the final shoot is priceless.

·
Registered
601 Posts
alot of questions there. money ? you pay for what you get.if car is painted need to take clear coat and scuff up paint up than prime.
now how much in primer a 50 dollar gallon of primer or a 250 a gallon of primer.than comes paint lola 100 dollar a gallon or a 600 a gallon depends on you keeping car for long time or painting and selling it.and than clear coat 100 or 400 a gallon also how many coats and sanding between each coat of each. a maaco 400 or a professional paint job of 4000 what you want

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!! All good pointers and the Martin SR article was good reading back then as it was again today. I wish he was still painting; Fremont is only 20 miles away from San Jose!

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Do a search on his name and you will find TONS of good stuff (I have it all saved on Word docs :) ) = One think I learned from him is that if you go to a shop and things are messy, parts and pieces flung all over the place, walk away. I went to 6 or 7 shops last year to begin looking for a paint shop in my area. I crossed 3 of them off the list right away just because of this. Although one of them seemed to do nice work, the place was such a disaster I wouldn't want to leave my car there. What if something went missing? What if some careless dolt in the shop screwed something up? Even though the cars I saw there seemed to be the best I found to that point, the shop was in such disarray that I left and never went back.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't price shop. if you get a "abc" brand model #123 dvd player at Walmart for $40 less than somewhere else you have saved $40. Paint and body is a service, not a product and you rarely get the same thing for less money.

There are many sharp cars out there that are hack jobs under the paint. Quality cost money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts