Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing my headliner.
The little metal brackets that the headliner attaches to behind the sail panel is what my question is about. what's left of mine is only the bracket and screws. The posts here talk about stapling the headliner to the bracket. Was there a cardboard piece attached to this bracket. if mine is gone is there a way to still attach the headliner to it. OR can you buy replacement cardboard pieces or what?

Thanks
Ray Moore

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
As I recall, those long thin brackets have some sort of wood or cardboard on their center. You staple the headliner to this part of the bracket. Does this sound like what you are talking about??

Paul D.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I know the part he is talking about, that is exactly what you have to do. Staple the headliner to that part.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the little strip of very hard material inside the brackets. It look like it is only about 3/16 or less thick. I take it very small staples like 1/8, I hoping the tack strip is not
so old and brittle it will fracture when stapling. That;s all that holds it in that area. No contact cement?

Thanks
Ray

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
I would use contact cement and staples to make sure it takes hold.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
If your strip is missing the cardboard insert I would use good cement and clue in a thin strip of basswood (available at your local hobby store)Once you have the rear window molding and side window rear moldings in place you'll pull the liner down to remove the last wrinkles and staple all the way across, your sail panel will hide everything. Here's my be some helpful pics.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/1968camaro/interior.htm
Good luck, mine took about 15 hours :eek: , don't be in a hurry. Give the fabric a day between multiple strechings. If you can, heat the garage or warming the interior will also help.
It was one of the most labor intensive things during my restoration but well worth it when your done

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you really wanted to use that insert the way it was intended, go to a hobby store or a place like Home Depot and find some compressed fiberboard. I found some at Lowes and used it. What I did was spread the channel so the fiberboard slid in easily, then just crimped it back down in the original shape. I have not installed my headliner yet, but the fiberboard is really dense and should work just as the original did.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi 67CruiseMasterCamaro.

What thickness of Fiberboard did you get and what size piece did you have to get?I am near a Lowes.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Board was 4'X 4'. The wife bought it for me, and I think it was 1/4" thick. May have been a little thicker, I can't remember.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts