Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The end of the tank fuel line had a bulge on it to slip the hose over. However, the end has been cut of. How are the bulges made, and what tool do i need to do it.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the bulge halps the hose clamp hold better. i have often wonderd what tool would be used to do that, as well. would be nice to have for custom work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What you need is a push-connect fitting. Here is a tool that makes it. Mastercool 71300 And here is the complete kit for all types of tubing flares and fittings. Mastercool 71475. Yes, it does take a few bucks for the right tool. I have tried a few different type double flare tools over the years and this one does it perfect everytime. If you are making your own brake lines, spend the extra money and get a perfect double flare, no leaks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The first operation when making a double flare would be to upset the end very similar to the factory line end condition. I would just do the first operation and it would look very close to original.

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I remember seeing a tool for that purpose on a car magazine or TV show proyect over the last 6 months. It was something that goes inside the tubing and has like a metal ball that comes up against the inner wall when twisted in certain direction but I can't remember where. Hope this wasn't another of my car related dreams. :D

·
10,164 Posts
There is a bead rolling tool made for the job. Especially useful for making radiator tank hose fittings. It is a couple of hundred bucks though.

I have different set of Parker tube beadrolling tools made for fuel line sizes. They were made by a refrigeration company and came in a bakelite case. They haven't made them in many years.
I have looked for some for a friend but they are super rare.
Here is one that would do the job: http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/search_result.asp?CATEGORY=Service+%26+Support

I have the mastercool hydraulic flare kit above. It makes a bulge that is too high if you make the Ford flare. Maybe you could do it half way and it would work. You just need a little bulge to retain the hose.
The double flare first step "upset" is a good idea.
David

[ 03-25-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts