Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever install a quick silver ratchet shifter in a 69 camaro with a console? I bought one complete and cheap and want to install it but could use some guidance, Any problems, solutions, tips would be appreciated. Also how does a ratchet shifter work? Love the looks of it but didnt consider the fact that it was a ratchet shifter. Also can I down load a diagram for the install from somewhere? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Mark, I just Started to install the Mega-shifter. I just learned how the ratcheting part works too. Once you get it in drive all you do is pull back or push it forward and it clicks back and stays in place. Kind of hard to explain but cool once you see how it works...

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers - TH350
[/list]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mark,

I have one in my 69 alough I do not have a consol. When in Park you lift up and pull back to get to Reverse. Then back again to Neutral. Pull back on more click and you are in drive (it will drop down into a slot, reverse lock out). You can now pull back and ratchet it down into 2nd and 1st gear, push forward to ratchet back to 2nd and 3rd gear. Also from this drive poisition you can ratchet forward one more time to neutral. In order to move to Park you MUST lift up on the shifter WHILE IN DRIVE NOT NEUTRAL and push all the way forward. You will get used to it real quick. The shifter works OK but I would not buy another one. Mine go a little gummed up over the winter and was sticking in 2nd gear and not shifting to 3rd. I little shot of oil and a few swipes of the tooth brush (not my tooth brush) and it was cured.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts