Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unusual question, I know. I didn't know what forum to post in.

I have an '89 Volvo 745 with an LT1 pulled from a '95 Z28. The exhaust that's on there is way too loud.

What is the quietest exhaust I can put on this machine? It currently has catalytic converters, but I don't need them, so there is room for pre-mufflers if it helps. Just a pair of stock cans or is there something that will muffle better without choking the motor?

Can I just put on any muffler that fits the pipe diameter, or is there a good reason to stick with one designed for an LT1? I've read about people slapping together any series of tubes and baffles, and I've read about people fine-tuning with cross-flow exhaust setups and air/fuel sensors. I don't know what to do when.

I'm not chasing horsepower, I just want a quiet car. I'd rather not lose 50 horse, of course...Some custom work will be necessary (which is fine), I'm just out of my element here.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I bet the Volvo exhaust system would be quiet.... :).....
... ' without choking the motor?' ... Oohhhh! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those Super Turbos look interesting. I never realized how easy it could be to pick up a custom can. They sell one that's nearly three feet!

I guess I should just ask if there's anything quieter than a stock exhaust in good shape? Maybe something in a stainless steel...Time to start measuring.

Power is less of a concern, because the rear end that's currently on the car is rated for about half the torque it is now receiving...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts