Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 3 inch exhaust, on my 68 Camaro. Went to start it, it started, but died quickly, like I shut it off. I checked fuel lines, and made sure I have power to everything. I'm running a Mallory Unilite and coil. HELP !!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
what do kinda motor do you have?? 3 inch may be too much pipe and is not giving your car enough back pressure/vaccuum to keep it running. Unless you have a pretty stout engine 3 inch is too much

·
Registered
85 Posts
HEY GUYS I HAVE A 68 WITH THE ORIGINAL 327
WITH 650 ELDER B. 4 B. HEADERS AND I
INSTAL 3" PIPE FROM THE HEADERS TO THE MUFFLERS AND 2 1/2" TAILE PIPE AND IT IS TERRIBLE MY 327 HAS 130 000 MILES ON IT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 454, and I'm running a mechanical advance, so I don't think vacuum would be a problem.If it is the module, can I do something to protect the new one, or should I junk it, and go MSD...

·
Registered
31 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nogo:
I just installed a 3 inch exhaust, on my 68 Camaro. Went to start it, it started, but died quickly, like I shut it off. I checked fuel lines, and made sure I have power to everything. I'm running a Mallory Unilite and coil. HELP !!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you check for spark? Fuel at the carb? Also, an engine will run with NO exhaust at all so, I seriously doubt no backpressure........Otherwise nothing would run at the Drags

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"

"Jungle" Jim
ASE A&P
Team Chevelle
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Is the Unilite a fresh install with the exhaust, or have you had it running before the exhaust installation? I've used Unilites for years on many builds, and never had one go bad - the ones I've seen that died went belly-up simply because someone fed them with 12 volts, which fries the module; the instructions are VERY clear that the power MUST be fed through a resistor or a resistance wire.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 7 of 7 Posts