Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question that I don't know the answer to: is all racing gas leaded? There are several places in town that sell racing gas, but only one has leaded written on the pump. I assume it's all the leaded but I wanted to be sure it's all the same before I start using it.

Thanks

·
3,528 Posts
buckeye,
Ask what brand it is ??? If the person selling it does not know, I don't know if I would want to buy it from them. Sunoco has a 104 octane unleaded fuel. I have not seen anything higher. I would try to stick with one brand if at all possible, makes tuning a lot easier.
Also, if they are pumping it directly into your car gas tank, it is probably unleaded. I am pretty sure it is illegal to pump leaded gas into a car. I know here in Maryland they will not pump into your car, only into a container. But that may have to do with the fuel taxes. If it goes directly into the car there are a lot more taxes involved.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pump with the "Leaded" sign says 110 octane. I believe the sign also says "Liquid Lightening", I'm not sure though. Pumping directly into the car is how it's done there. Has anyone used it? I have been using CAM 2. Anyone have an opinion of that?

Thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey all... around here (Georgia) West Central.. Some of the Amoco's have 114 (Cam2) it is carried near the race tracks...
It says on the pump that this fuel is not to be used in a street driven car. that's all the warning it has around here. Those are mostly in towns that have a drag strip or dirt track near the Gas Station. I ran 114 oct. in my 68, it is all leaded when it gets that high but that's what gives it the high octane, the lead. It will not hurt your vehicle if it is a carb. intake and no computers...but you wouldn't want to use it on modern day engines that have injection and computers to tell when to give fuel.

Fire... aka Seth Denney......

·
Registered
820 Posts
CamcoJb, the dude is correct for pump gas, but you can get the 110-112 octane or as it is called "grape juice" around here (since its purple)or CAM2 , and it comes in both flavors. leaded and unleaded. although the $7.14 per gallon will kill your wallet.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 06-20-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Buckeye,

I've got a fairly complete list of "racing gasolines" at work in my "useful tips" file. I made it up just for this type of question. If I remember it tomorrow, I will bring the list home and post it. Hey, I might just e-mail the whole thing to myself at home and post a bunch of "interesting" stuff yhat pertain to fuels and octane. Stuff like a good cheap octane booster and such. pdq67

·
Registered
27 Posts
$7.14 a gallon?!!??!!
if it was that high I probably wouldn't get it either. Down here in GA you can get the juice for about $3.41 a gallon, maybe $3.50 but that is the highest I have seen for 114 octane....

·
Registered
27 Posts
$7.14 a gallon?!!??!!
if it was that high I probably wouldn't get it either. Down here in GA you can get the juice for about $3.41 a gallon, maybe $3.50 but that is the highest I have seen for 114 octane.... Then once you go to talking about Methanol that's a whole new ball game..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fireman1, where do you get your high octane
fuel? I live near Douglasville and I am looking to buy some racing fuel too......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob,

You ever hear of a small town named Whitesburg? It would be west of you on Hwy 5. (Towards Alabama) If you go to Whitesburg, at the round-a-bout (screwed up way of not wanting a four way stop) take a left towards Newnan. There is an Amoco on the right before you cross the Chattahoochie River. It is at that station. 114 octane.
A friend of mine usually gets his in the 55 gallon drum. I'll ask where he orders it from. BTW also like I said it will have the warning "Not for use in street driven cars" but if you pump it in them, they haven't said anything to me yet about it. I run every tenth tank of that stuff, really cleans it out and lets it run at a cooler temp. it sounds strange but it does.

Seth

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob,

My father and myself are building a subdivision in Powder Springs. I know you said you are near Douglasville but your name is in Powder Springs, let me know a round a bout area that you live in and I might could bring some in passing if you don't want a ton of it. .....

I work at the fire dept tomorrow (Wednesday) so I won't respond til thursday....

Seth

·
20,629 Posts
cam2-purple 3.50 per gal-- 108 octane
cam2-red 7.00 per gal--114 octane
here in baltimore ,Md.

------------------
My68CamaroThis CamaroNet - the Webring for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro site .

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
820 Posts
see! heheheh

Doug, if your interested, Every Friday night on ritchie Hwy (glen burnie) at the corner of Mountain rd and Rt2 (right across from the doublt T diner) there is a Massive hotrod show every friday, bring your car down sometime. I'm there every weekend its not wet out.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 06-21-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Cheap octane booster:
(1) gallon of Toluene
(1) quart of Mineral Spirits (Diesel or Kerosene)
(1/2 pint of Light Turbine Oil (Automatic Transmission Fluid)

Two gallons of this blend in ten gallons of 92 octane unleaded brings the gasoline up to about 96.5 octane.

The way I understand this mix is that the toluene is the booster, the mineral spirits, the cleaner and the ATF the lubricant.
I got this off the web at a sight where a guy got sick of buying stuff like 104 octane booster at $4 to $5.00 a bottle. He did his homework and said this was probably what they were selling anyway.
Oxygenated fuel contains 2.7% by weight, 15.0% by volume of oxygenate (ethanol).
Reformulated gasoline contains 2.0% by weight, 11.0% by volume of oxygenate (MTBE).

Stoichiometric Air/Fuel Ratio = 6.4 to 1 for Methanol, 9.0 to 1 for Ethanol, 11.7 to 1 for MTBE and 14.6 to 1 for gasoline.

Octane boosters = Millers VSP, a lead substitute plus a manganese based occtane booster.
Red Line Lead Substitute = A sodium based lead substitute.
Super Blended Zero Lead 2000 = A potassium based lead substitute.
Valvemaster = A phosphorus based lead substitute.

76 Unleaded Racing Gasolines.
100 Octane Unleaded (Anti-Knock Index=100)A blue colored fuel can be used in a 4" bore, aluminum headed engine with a compression ratio up to 12.5 to 1 (contains MTBE no lead).
110 Octane Leaded (AKI=110) Red colored fuel, official fuel for NASCAR.
114 Octane Leaded (AKI=114) Orange colored fuel for Super Stock, for all engines (large bore, high compression, big and small blocks, normally aspirated, supercharged, turbo charged, etc.)
118 Octane Leaded (AKI=118) Yellow colored fuel, for Pro Stock(NHRA and IHRA), for large bore racing engines up to 17.5 to 1 CR(no oxygenates or alcohols)
Avgas 80/87 Red colored , little or no lead--don't use in cars only a low octane fuel.
Avgas 100/130 Green colored , has 4 grams of lead per gallon.
Avgas LL Blue colored, low lead 2 grams/gallon of leadinit same octane as Avgas 100/130 but contains a lot of aromatics that contribute to a lazy throttle responce and dissatisfaction.
Avgas 115/145 Purple colored-- very hard to find.
You can get a world of information from the web if you punch in 76 Unleaded Racing Gasolines. Also, the EPA has a bunch of info because of air pollution issues. pdq67

·
Registered
91 Posts
hi all,

just putting in my $.02, i have gone with my neighbor to a locat small air feild and filled up on AV GAS. those little cesnas and other small planes run off that stuff. that is your best bet at getting some of it. i think that they had the purple stuff when we went down. only thing is that it burns slower, so you will need to adjust the carb for the fuel. it was rather pricy though. looking $4.00-$7.00 a gallon.

later, JS

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't use Av Gas in a car motor, it's not designed for it. I fly planes, and know how the aircraft engine works compared to a car engine. The car engine is very capable of running at high rpms (I spin mine over 8000 all the time in my camaro). Av Gas was designed for low rpm engines. The typical engines in cessnas and citabrias, never see much more than 2500 rpms. Your going to do more damage than it is worth saving a couple of dollars for higher octane. Also the gas in more refined than car gas. You know how gas will start to looses it's octane if it sits for a while, Av gas on the other hand will work just as good as it did from the refinery.
Just my .02 cents
Shawn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, before using aviation fuel, do your homework via your browsers and go to Sunoco and other manufacturer's websites for correct information so as to prevent damage to your machines. "Know" exactly what you are doing before you do it. As another pilot already pointed out, aviation fuel is formulated for engines that normally run at between 2,000 and 2,500rpm and spend 99% of their life "cruising" between those rpm's
(except trainers which spend somewhat less time "cruising" as
students practice takeoffs and landings and other manuevers associated with "training").
These engines, unlike their automobile counterparts, are never subject to acceleration/deceleration "events" as are their automobile "cousins"
and definitely aren't subject to cyles between "idle" and the wide band of operational rpm's associated with normal auto engine operations; no where near!!
The "applications" are as different as can be, obviously, and so are the "designs" of the gasolines used for each application. To a greater extent than auto fuel, aviation gas is designed to burn, moreso, at altitude. Volatility is different as in burn "rate"; timing in an auto engine must be retarded to burn SAME octane aviation gas in an auto engine to avoid burning "hot"
(as in pre-ignition/detonation!).
There is little (if any) benefit substituting 100LL aviation fuel for normal 93PON available at the corner pump, unless you are looking for lead "protection" of exhaust valve seats. You will gain performance, though, if you can find the really high octane aviation gasolines but, these fuels will not be inexpensive and, you will have to "tune" (timing, especially) to realize performance benefit of same, obviously.

Cost will approach what you would pay for CAM2 "Maximal" (117PON), anyway, so why not just use the CAM2 or 76 unleaded/leaded racing
gasolines which are properly formulated for the application, anyway?

Do your "homework", surf the gasoline websites!! As another pointed out, you can mix your own brew and add it to high octane unleaded pump fuel to gain a couple of full octane "points" and this will burn a hell of a lot better in your auto engine than 100LL aviation gas which is designed for a different application altogether.

CAM2 "Maximal" is $8.20 a gallon here in Stamford, CT.(no kidding!)
but a gallon in 6 will do the trick
for my supercharged Austin-Healey Sprite in high temperture summer conditions; there is no substitute for the REAL THING, guys.

You all know performance costs money and that is true whether you are "building" it, or "using" what you "built"!

Enjoy your "toys" and "feed" them properly to enjoy them more and longer or go with lower compression ratios or aluminum heads, radiators and cold air intakes or a combination of all; performance costs money!

Aviation fuels are not the answer to octane problems, as they seem to be, as you will learn if you do your homework!

------------------

Tripod

1 - 20 of 20 Posts