Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my coolant level the other day and saw it was a good 6" below the radiator cap throat so I added some. I filled it to the top and then had it overflowing back out the overflow tube after the first long run. It's now down to about 2 or 3" below the rad cap throat. Is this normal or, is the spring in my radiator cap going and needs to be replaced?

The current cap on it is a 13lb cap.

Thanks.

·
19,759 Posts
Properly filled should be approximately 1" below the neck (air gap for expansion)

If you filled to the top, then once the coolant heated up it expanded, over pressurizing the system, causing an over flow.

But I would be more concerned where the first 6" went :yes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I would be more concerned where the first 6" went :yes:
Yep, I should have noted that in my first post ;-)
I had a loose connection on my upper heater core hose and that first 6" (or 4" if the first 2 were air) ended up on my passenger floor.
Thanks for the quick response and good info!

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
You want a 15lb cap and the right level is where it is if it's done spitting up after you've shut it off when the system is at operating temp.

I'd be cautious about that heater core, a loose hose would leak mostly inside the engine compartment, not much liquid would get past the firewall seal and into the interior. I'd suspect the heater core to be leaking.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a similar situation. A new radiator and heater core were put in during the rebuild a couple years ago. I currently have a 15 lb cap for closed system. The car is mainly driven locally a couple times a month.

After a run, I park the car, then lose some fluid through the overflow tube. It goes down about 3" or so below the neck/tube outlet.

I never had any related problem in years past. I also need to have the thermostat checked, does anyone think this could be part of the problem?

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
I have a similar situation. A new radiator and heater core were put in during the rebuild a couple years ago. I currently have a 15 lb cap for closed system. The car is mainly driven locally a couple times a month.

After a run, I park the car, then lose some fluid through the overflow tube. It goes down about 3" or so below the neck/tube outlet.

I never had any related problem in years past. I also need to have the thermostat checked, does anyone think this could be part of the problem?
Thermostat has nothing to do with it and as I said above the system will purge itself to the correct level. If you don't top it off it should stop spewing when you shut it off.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I recently replaced the repro stock style 15 lb cap with a Murray Ultra cap (with pressure tab). Since that time I have not experienced any fluid loss through the tube. I assume the repro stock cap was not sealing properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts