Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 3 week break I am back in the shop and getting close to lighting this candle. Having the right motor mt's/stands, cross member made the engine, tranny and header install very easy.
Now that I've got the exhaust, alt, PS, water pump, radiator and all belts done it's time to make it ready to run.
I got some good tips from the archives and the posts on starting up a motor without the factory wiring in place, should be be able to break the engine in next weekend.

I took these pic's to show the progress so far and my question is about the coil mounting. I read one post that says the coil will fail if laying horizontal like I have it in the pic. I shook it and it is full of oil. I can see the rational for having it stand vertical as the oil would cover more of the internals. Does anybody have an opinion on this? If I have to move it vertical it would be in the way of the accelerator brackets/cable.

·
Registered
951 Posts
i put my coil on its side like you did and it blew up! oil all over my firewall.. i just put it on the firewall now lol.. looking nice though

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
No go on the coil that way.:sad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
got a stupid question but is the coil any different on a ford truck cuz my old 79 ford truck came from the factory with the coil on its side.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've seen a John Deere tractor with the coil mounted upside down and it's still operating with no problems..................

My MSD coil is not perfectly vertical........it's at about a 45 degree angle and no problems.

David F.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max, read some similar posts and decided to try and "season" the Hooker 2457's prior to startup. I suspended them about 3 feet from the ground and then took my Coleman propane torch and lightly heated them up. Then I turned up the heat and spent about an hour heating them as uniformly as possible. I dont know if this will work but it was worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts