Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A belt broke on a bfgoodrich radial t/a that I have and I understand they only will warranty for 6 years regardless the tread. How do I read the manufacture date as I don't have a receipt and want to see if still would be under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Definitely a belt separation.
Pretty sure the warranty would only apply to the original purchaser. Without a receipt, that would be hard to prove.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
happened to two of mine. in fact that's what drove me to new wheels and tires. went to 17 inch and now have a very wide selection.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
A while back I had the same thing happen on the rear tire of my 69 Camaro. BF Goodrich radial T/A. Replaced all four (4) immediately. I got lucky and noticed it by accident. There is a great article in a past issue of the of Hemmings Muscle Machine titled, Re-Tired.

Following is some info contained in the article:
"All tires manufactured from 2000 to present contain a code mandated by the NTSAA. The code is found on the sidewall and will consist of "DOT" followed by 12 to 13 letters and numbers identifying the mfg. size, mfg. code and the week and year of mfg. Example: DOTLMLR5107. Were only concerned with the last four. The "51" is the 51st week of the year and the "07" is 2007.

While your tires might look new, they are aging. Lets say you put 1,000 miles on your donuts each year. That's only 12 thousand miles in 12 years & 24 thousand in 24 years. See what's happening? Your tires look new but they are getting dangerously old. Looks can be deceiving. Unless you can remember exactly when you put new tires on I suggest a trip to the garage right now! It'll be cheaper than a trip to the body shop. Being proactive is always better than being reactive."

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have a new 17" set with pro comp 2 tires and AR torq thrust II but sometimes I want a more classic look depending on where I'm going. I am for sure buying a new set of 4 but thought I might get one free if under warranty.

Any thoughts on the date in the pic above?

·
13,968 Posts
The picture posted is not the date code

1 - 11 of 11 Posts