Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 RS Camaro with a new GM Crate 350 ZZ6 EFI engine (420 hp) and new Tremec 5 speed manual transmission. My engine ECU has fan trigger outputs (2) and I'm looking for suggestions on the most preferable radiator and electric fan combinations out there for my cooling needs. I've been researching most all the brands and right now I'm leaning towards a Dewitt modular setup with dual SPAL fans. But I've also looked at Entrophy, Cold Case and Be Cool, etc. so they are all being considered at this point. Thanks for any input on this topic!
Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The dual SPAL fans work great on my Ron Davis. What ECU are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
All I can say is my Griffin cools my car without issue, and I Auto-x in some 90+deg days and drive it hard. I use the ECU to trigger the fans.
I’m sure those others sized correctly would work too.
Electric fans cool all modern high HP cars, so it should work good for you.

Id like to add a 3rd relay so both fans come on at half speed @ low temp, and then go to high speed on the high temp setting.
Right now 1 comes on full speed at low temp, 2 at high temp.
Just thought I’d add that so when you start wiring your 2 fan setup, you might run them that way.

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
I have used Dewitts and Entropy both with food results.

Don

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Check out Cold Case dropped my temps about 15°, their a sponsor on this page. Gave me a good deal.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Dewitts are nice, I was torn between them and BeCool, but ended up with A BeCool Aluminator series. Works great, really well built and made in the USA.
And of course Ron Davis, but they are pricey.

I would say avoid aluminum radiators that are more than 2 large tube rows (3 or 4 row aluminum cores), they will work but negate the reason to use aluminum. In short larger tubes are better, and aluminum allows for larger tubes and less rows of them as a result.
I personally try to avoid Chinese parts when at all possible also, but that's a personal choice.

Reactions: Mich69

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the input. Steve, I'll be running the Chevy stock / Edelbrock pro flo 4 ECU to control things and I've been researching a bit around variable or multi-speed fan controls as suggested Darin. Maybe another way to ask the question is, what radiator brands would you recommend I avoid..? The price points between cold case and the others is intriguing but it also makes me wonder why. Else they all seem to be comparable, although I've only seen Dewitt offer the aluminum radiator in black..
Regards.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
I've got a new ColdCase for my BBC but I'm not done installing yet as I'm building a custom shroud for dual eFans. Anyway... the radiator looks to be very nicely made, and Chris gave me a great deal... he's a sponsor here as pointed out.

The radiator is a 2-tube setup with 1.250" tubes. Hope to have the shroud built and mounted in a week or so.

Reactions: Mich69 and LeeC

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Definitely find a PWM fan controller that works with your setup. I’m using the C6 controller triggered by my Holley HP. It’s an awesome setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just got my new afco radiator one of the nicest i have seen. dont like cold case, i have heared they use off shore cores. buy american.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,427 Posts
If you are looking for a black one, ask the Cold Case rep on here if he can deliver, and inquire if his products are USA-built, made. Give him the opportunity to confirm/disprove the allegation above about offshore cores.

The previous comment about a 1-1/4 2-row cooling better than 3 & 4-row is correct. I have personally confirmed this in at least two of my builds.

Brett....

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Our radiators are not made in the USA. That is exactly how we can offer a lower price. Same quality, same performance. We could make ours in the USA and then they would be about the same price as the other USA brands. Cold Case is for those who want high quality and high performance at a very good price

Keep in mind that most of the brands listed in this topic also import some of their radiators and most of their components and only final assemble in the USA. You can identify the non USA made products by the price.
Griffin's universal line- NOT USA
Entropy- NOT USA
Be Cool- USA made but they don't make their own radiators. They buy them from another USA mfg.

The reality is that all brands mentioned in this topic are all American business's. Go on Ebay and Amazon and that's where you will find all the non-American brands.

At a time like this with everything that has happened, I certainly understand and respect the urge to want to buy American. I also understand that money is tight for a lot of people. The price difference is about 30-40%.

Lastly, while we don't actually manufacture the radiator, we have 30 employees in Hatfield PA. We do all our own design and fitment, test, do quality control, pull, pack and ship all our radiators. We're one of the small business's that makes up the core of the economy in the USA.

FYI, we also did not apply for PPP funds even though we qualify because we know others need it more than we do and we're counting on customers like you all to help keep enough sales to get us through this time.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I'm super pleased with my Be Cool Aluminator, it is very well built and fit like a glove. I like the Dewitt's because they really look stock and are very well built, but I wasn't fooling anyone regarding my motor so I went with a fabricated tank style radiator.

I used a BBC sized core, which I would recommend if more horsepower is in your future, it fit great using factory holes. I would say do that regardless of brand you choose. Unless there is a fitment issue with LS swaps, but I doubt there would be.

Here is a link to the one I used, and don't be fooled by the HP rating, my motor makes well in excess of 600 horse and it runs rock steady at 180.

https://www.becool.com/product/radiator-67-69-camaro-firebird-w-std-trans-aluminator-natural-finish-be-cool-radiator

$329, made in the USA by a USA company. I really found it to be the best value when I was looking.

There are a ton of good companies out there, and there is a difference between them, if I could justify spending the dollars for a Ron Davis or C&R I would have, because they are better than my BeCool version. But don't get me wrong, I'm super happy with mine.
My choice is buy American whenever possible, pay an American company paying Americans living wages to build them. That's a personal thing, I'm not going to beat someone up for buying whatever they choose.

Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Our radiators are not made in the USA. That is exactly how we can offer a lower price. Same quality, same performance. We could make ours in the USA and then they would be about the same price as the other USA brands. Cold Case is for those who want high quality and high performance at a very good price

Keep in mind that most of the brands listed in this topic also import some of their radiators and most of their components and only final assemble in the USA. You can identify the non USA made products by the price.
Griffin's universal line- NOT USA
Entropy- NOT USA
Be Cool- USA made but they don't make their own radiators. They buy them from another USA mfg.

The reality is that all brands mentioned in this topic are all American business's. Go on Ebay and Amazon and that's where you will find all the non-American brands.

At a time like this with everything that has happened, I certainly understand and respect the urge to want to buy American. I also understand that money is tight for a lot of people. The price difference is about 30-40%.

Lastly, while we don't actually manufacture the radiator, we have 30 employees in Hatfield PA. We do all our own design and fitment, test, do quality control, pull, pack and ship all our radiators. We're one of the small business's that makes up the core of the economy in the USA.

FYI, we also did not apply for PPP funds even though we qualify because we know others need it more than we do and we're counting on customers like you all to help keep enough sales to get us through this time.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. You didn't answer one question tho; Can you provide a black radiator?

Brett.....

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You didn't answer one question tho; Can you provide a black radiator?

Brett.....
Sorry, I missed that! We have not added black as an option mostly because it is so simple and cheap to do yourself whereas we would have to mark it up. You literally just need to dust the tanks with a metal etching primer and then spray it with a can of black paint with a shine of your choosing. $12 and about 30 minutes.

That's it!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Sorry, I missed that! We have not added black as an option mostly because it is so simple and cheap to do yourself whereas we would have to mark it up. You literally just need to dust the tanks with a metal etching primer and then spray it with a can of black paint with a shine of your choosing. $12 and about 30 minutes.

That's it!
Sorry, but I disagree. If it was going on my car, I would have to have Black Anodize. First of all, if you tried to rattle can the fins, it would reduce the efficiency. Then I'm not sure how well paint would hold up on that kind of item with the heat cycling happening.
When it comes to my First Gen, "Cheap" is not my first priority. "Quality" is number one.
Respectfully,
Brett......

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. If it was going on my car, I would have to have Black Anodize. First of all, if you tried to rattle can the fins, it would reduce the efficiency. Then I'm not sure how well paint would hold up on that kind of item with the heat cycling happening.
When it comes to my First Gen, "Cheap" is not my first priority. "Quality" is number one.
Respectfully,
Brett......
You can't anodize a radiator cost effectively and I'm not sure it would hold up. Maybe you are thinking of Powder coating it?

And you are correct in that painting the fins can reduce the efficiency if you put too much paint on there and it starts to block the air flow. That is the reason why I said 'paint the tanks'. You don't need much paint on the fins to create a 'black' look. There's a lot of natural shadowing.

As far as lasting, just think of your original radiator and how long the paint held up on that one. 40 years? There's nothing special about the paint used on OEM radiators.

My recommendation is not about being cheap, it's about value. If you really want to make it show quality and also have it last the maximum amount of time, you'd want to powder coat it but then you will likely not be able to match the OEM shade of black.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brett, in a side conversation with Eric from Cold Case, they currently do not offer their radiators in black. It was suggested to use radiator paint from Eastwood. Eric made me a very good offer on a Cold Case radiator setup but I'm still undecided as to which direction I'm going at this moment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts