Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

69 camaro with MKIV 427 (10.5:1 CR), M 20, air-conditioning, and MK VIII fan. The current radiator is Becool 10168. Radiator needs to be changed and somebody told me to get wider tube radiator (1.25 or 1.5 inch). With becool radiator temperature stays between 215-220 when it is 100 degree outside. I tried 160, 180, and 190 thermostat, and water restrictor and same thing. I am wondering If wider tube radiator will lower the temperature?

found Dewitts 32-1149022M, and Griffin 6-00048. Which one of them to choose? Or do you have another choice?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Bigger tubes will cool much better. Dewitts builds a quality radiator. You will not be disappointed. Griffin has a sketchy reputation.

Don

·
Vendor
163 Posts
Just to be clear, the Cold Case unit is going to be dual 1 1/4" vs the BeCool which is dual 1". That extra 1/4" normally makes a huge difference. Also, double check and see if yours is a SB or BB radiator. The BB unit should be 23". If you have the 21" unit, that's another reason you are running so hot. More Volume almost always translates to cooler temps.

For a special Forum member price, shoot me a PM.

Whichever way you decide to go, I hope you get it back down in that 190 range where you can feel more comfortable. :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wizard cooling. Expensive but you will have zero issues with cooling. I run a big inch ls motor 444cid... ( 68 camaro) with the ac on idling in traffic at plus 105 Temps absolutely zero issues cooling. Wizard Cooling Performance Aluminum Radiators

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I Combined the best of both since Wizard couldn't get me a RAD for 10 weeks.. So I did a Wizard Cooling Duel 12" Spal Brushless fan and shroud on a Cold Case BB rad

20211011_201943 by F G, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
583 Posts
Think you need the 18" fan in there, that ones too small. If you need one I have a new 7 blade with a Hayden I will sell. Took it off after 20 miles to go electric.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,564 Posts
I also went with the Cold Case 23" BBC radiator, which is a nice piece. My only "gripe" was that the mounting brackets pushed the radiator about 5/8" back towards the motor, so I had the brackets removed and repositioned so there's just under 1/4" space between the radiator and the core support. Like many others with serpentine setups, the clearance gets critical and you have to use the flattest fan(s) you can find that will move enough air. I'm still sorting mine out but since my interior is gutted, I can't drive the car now anyways. And yes, the water pump is a high-flow short unit, but the serpentine mounting brings it back forward an inch. The fan shroud I designed and had custom built, the fans are dual 12" Ford/Bosch units.

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
583 Posts
That was the sticking point when researching CC. They couldnt/wouldnt confirm fitment in a 68 BB with long pump. Thats why I went DeWitts. Advertsed as fits oem BB Camaro with long pumps. It fits perfectly with CVF serpentine conversion like a glove.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Think you need the 18" fan in there, that ones too small. If you need one I have a new 7 blade with a Hayden I will sell. Took it off after 20 miles to go electric.
That one's a 17" , and car never gets above 180°. So, it's working fine. But thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm running an LS swap radiator from Auto City Classics, and it is a really nice piece. They do offer a direct replacement radiator as well. Mine cools my supercharged 6.2 at 180* regardless of the outside temps.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,564 Posts
Mike, Where did you find the wire loom clamps you used on the fender? Looks clean!
Stevie... If you mean the black hose clamps... I think I got them on Amazon or Summit... I forget. I located all those hoses and then used a rivnut behind them and a longer Allen head thru the center hole so everything stays exactly where its supposed to be. If you're asking about that one aluminum "clamp" I made that myself, intended to paint it black... just never got around to doing it. Simple aluminum strap, bent around a piece of pipe mounted in my vise.

BTW, I don't doubt that the CC radiator will work with a regular BBC and long water pump with a conventional mechanical fan, it's the billet serpentine stuff that upsets the applecart. It moves everything forward and you have to deal with space between the pulleys and the fans. Then you also have to have a shroud with at least 3/4" between the fan blades and the radiator core so mine has 15/16" inside the shroud, and at the time, the Ford/Bosch were the flattest available that would supposedly provide enough CFM for a BBC. I'm gonna play with the wiring because I was feeding the PWM from the Junction block and only getting 11.4v going to the fans. So I'm in the process of making up new power and ground wires (both #8 AWG) from the PWM directly to the battery terminals. If I still sense that its not cooling off fast enough I might look into trying the 12" SPAL fans from a Chevy Volt that Andrew was messing with. Frank installed the 12" SPALs and he was pretty happy. They are nice and flat and aside from being brushless, they supposedly move a lot of air. Hopefully the better wiring approach Don suggested will give my fans some additional juice!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, I see that the cold case radiator is half price of wizard radiator and both have the 1.25 inch tube. Why the wizard radiator is more expensive? Is it better?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
ok, I see that the cold case radiator is half price of wizard radiator and both have the 1.25 inch tube. Why the wizard radiator is more expensive? Is it better?
I think its because its polished and uses brushless fans. I got my Dewitts with dual Spal 11” fans for about a grand through Summit. Mount wS bent so the gave me 15% off of that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts