Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that a big block 67 had a bigger radiator support opening than a small block 67. They say it was to allow for more air to pass through the opening for the radiator. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not true. Big blocks had a 4 core radiator if I recall correctly. I have never heard of the support hole being different

Reactions: Deangelo66

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The BB used a 23" radiator which is 2" wider than the SB 21" radiator. Both fit same core support with the DS of the BB radiator being 2" wider.

SB cars with AC also had the 23" wide radiator (what I have).

The fan shrouds were different for BB & SB as the BB was about 1" off center towards PS so it would clear steering box

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure it's not true. Big blocks had a 4 core radiator if I recall correctly. I have never heard of the support hole being different
The BB used a 23" radiator which is 2" wider than the SB 21" radiator. Both fit same core support with the DS of the BB radiator being 2" wider.

SB cars with AC also had the 23" wide radiator (what I have).

The fan shrouds were different for BB & SB as the BB was about 1" off center towards PS so it would clear steering box
AIM's agree, one support for all options.
Thanks, all! I never got notifications for this thread. I appreciate the quick responses!

·
Vendor
161 Posts
fyi, There are several aftermarket radiator support kits that are designed with a larger opening and larger radiators for especially heavy duty situations.

If someone wants to discuss these type of products in a separate topic, I'd be glad to contribute.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fyi, There are several aftermarket radiator support kits that are designed with a larger opening and larger radiators for especially heavy duty situations.

If someone wants to discuss these type of products in a separate topic, I'd be glad to contribute.
Thanks! Can you PM me? Or email me. [email protected]

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just checked my (reproduction) factory 21" radiator for small block application. I have a good two inches of opening in the core support on the driver side where the tank is exposed within the opening.

I'm pretty sure a factory 23" radiator would extend the extra core into that space on the driver side.

DSC_2042 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked my (reproduction) factory 21" radiator for small block application. I have a good two inches of opening in the core support on the driver side where the tank is exposed within the opening.

I'm pretty sure a factory 23" radiator would extend the extra core into that space on the driver side.

DSC_2042 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr
Thanks for the pic, Larry! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts