Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '69 is a factory air car, but i do not have the weatherstrip that mounts on the top of the rad. support. I inquired about it thru a parts vendor and asked about the plastic clips that are supposed to fit into factory holes on the support. The vendor says the weatherstrip does not come with clips.
To further complicate the matter, my car does not have the holes on the rad. support for the weatherstrip to attach to, although i see the dimples where the holes should be punched.
I am confused, did early cars not get this weatherstrip? (mine was born 11-1-68)

thanks,
mike

------------------
My '69 Conv. Website
or
FotoTime Pictures

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 05-10-2002).]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mike, my 10/68 built 69 had A/C and definitly had the seal. Someone may have replaced the the radiator support at one time in your cars life and never transfered the seal over...do you have the side seal plates?
As far as the clips are concerned later model Camaros, like 2nd Gens used a similar clip (maybe identical) to hold the cowl to hood seal in place...just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mike, I no longer own the car..heres a page from the 69 assembly manual..hope it can be of some help..

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The clips on mine were steel, not plastic. However, you can't see them, once installed. Since your holes are not drilled, find a clip that will work, and drill the appropriate size holes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I second that... the original clips on my car are steel.

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 3/7/02)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I know they're steel...as are the ones on 2nd Gen cars..

[This message has been edited by 1967 Panther (edited 05-11-2002).]

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm betting you could make new ones out of piano wire, available at any hobby store. Make an elongated diamond with two "ears" at the top, similar to the originals. You would choose a guage that would "squeeze" into the holes, and spring back, to hold the seal secure on top of the core support.

Should look like this:

--- ---
/ \
\ /
V

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The correct clips (or at least they looked like the original ones on my car)are available from any auto parts store that has a Dorman Supply or can order from the Dorman Catalog. I have also seen these type clips at some shops under the 'Help' brand products. The clips are metal and have a slightly greenish color to them when new.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
What is the purpose of the side shields? I picked up a set at Carlisle but don't have AC. Would they help direct more air through the radiator?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Super Moderator
33,211 Posts
Rick is corect, the seals are to seal between the fender, its extension , and the radiator support to prevent recirculation of hot air. More common on A/C equipped cars.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.