Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBC 383, that seems to drink water fast. I can run 10 miles, and will have to put at least 1-2 quarts of water into the radiator everytime. Its a aluminum radiator and heads. Fairly new engine. I don't see any water leaking any where, and don't see any water in the oil. Any suggestions. Thinking maybe a head gasket leaking into the exhaust side, but I don't see water coming out the pipe.

Oscar

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Do you have an overflow can?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a SBC 383, that seems to drink water fast. I can run 10 miles, and will have to put at least 1-2 quarts of water into the radiator everytime. Its a aluminum radiator and heads. Fairly new engine. I don't see any water leaking any where, and don't see any water in the oil. Any suggestions. Thinking maybe a head gasket leaking into the exhaust side, but I don't see water coming out the pipe.

Oscar
Check the color of your plugs yet? If going into the combustion process, the cylinder getting the water will have a different color plug.

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
Either a small hole in the reservior or, leaky head gasket.
As suggested, check for the cleanest spark plug eletrodes - leaky cylinder.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I had a similar situation with my iron block and aluminum head engine. Hope you don't let your car sit for long periods of time.

Swap out your head gaskets for the Mr. Gasket grafoil version.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking maybe a head gasket. It runs really well, but my plugs are pretty clean not much coloring at all on them...

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
Another troubleshooting aid, pull the plugs and inject through the spark plug hole, with a piston at TDC, valves closed, shop air into the cylinder and check radiator for bubbles. Repeat seven more times.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If the impeller seal on the back of the water pump is loose or the gasket is bad, it'll only leak when hot and under pressure. It'll make you scratch your head since it won't leave any on the driveway when you start it up, just blow it out going down the road.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
If plugs are clean on a cyclinder then get a hydrocarbon test on the radiator..most work shop do it for free...takes minutes including getting the unit, using, clean liquid, and hang on the wall again.

And if head gasket...make sure you get the head skimed...never ..never simply replace a gasket..it will come back and kick u in the butt.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If it's a head gasket leaking you should smell the antifreeze behind the car - especially at the rates you are talking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you putting straight water into the radiator? That could be your problem. 2 quarts in 10 miles is a lot of fluid to be losing, if it was your head gasket you should be able to smell it in the exhaust or see white smoke.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have antifreeze in it. I have'nt noticed any smell from the exhaust or seen anything. I will re-check it. Its just that if it were leaking from the front somewhere you would think I would some some sign of that. I see no drips or wetness, but have noticed the chrome areas have specs on them so thats a sign of liquid flying. I think I will start with my overflow tank (I checked it last night and it was dry), Also pulled the valve covers the oil on the heads looked clean and water free. The valve cover itself had a small amaout of condensation, but not much.

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
Also pulled the valve covers the oil on the heads looked clean and water free. The valve cover itself had a small amaout of condensation, but not much.
With East Coast temps, should be no condensation.

Check water pump weep hole for signs of leakage under the pulley.
Also, as another suggested, a steam leak would be hard to find as coolant evaporates, but, it will leave a white crusty trail.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just did a pressure test on the radiator 26psi for 5 min in that time it was almost down 1 psi. I noticed a small drip at the heater hose fixed that then noticed a small leak inside where the heater core area is. So I will disconnect the hose tommorrow. Again it seems to be a really small drip and the pressure on the radiator held. I did turn the engine over while the pressure was on the radiator and it still held.

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
A steamy defrost confirms a leaky core. So does pulling back the carpet to see if floorboard is wet.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If the core was leaking that much, wouldn't the inside of the car resemble a pond? Hopefully, it is the heater hose itself, pretty easy fix.

;)

alan

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If the core was leaking that much, wouldn't the inside of the car resemble a pond? Hopefully, it is the heater hose itself, pretty easy fix.

;)

alan

Not if it's like mine.....it would run out all the holes in the floor before it had a chance to soak in. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts