Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
putting radiator back in and have the Rick's wellnuts and bolts. My question is what is the point of them in the first place??
I imagine it is for cushioning the radiator, but why? And if that's their purpose, why aren't they on all four holes?

Fill me in. Are they really necessary? They seen like they wiuld deteriorate rather quickly and maybe allow the radiator to flop or something on that side.

RJ Bailey

·
Premium Member
11,160 Posts
I have changed them out every time I am working in this area as they do flex and allow your radiator to absorb some of this flex as it does in the subframe. So where do you want the flex, in the radiator or rubber encased nut.

You can get these wellnuts at Lowes or Homedepot. Not a hard item to find.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Radiators expand and contract a bit as they warm and cool.

I am sure they cost GM a bit more to use than a regular bolt/weld nut, so they would not have been used if there was not a good reason to do so.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Radiators expand and contract a bit as they warm and cool.

I am sure they cost GM a bit more to use than a regular bolt/weld nut, so they would not have been used if there was not a good reason to do so.
That is exactly why they are there. You will see them on new cars as well. A common item that can be purchsed at most well stocked hardware stores.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I imagine they used them for flex of the car and heat expansion. You can get them at Ace. I think they are worthless. I have had some tear and pull out. I use one on the bottom left only because the hole doesn't go all the way through the core support. The upper left one, I use a grommet and a brass insert inside the grommet. Both gotten at Ace. The brass insert needs to be ground down a little to be the same thickness as the grommet. The insert has a ID of a 1/4". Then I just use a bolt, couple of washers and a nylock nut. Haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good ideas. i put them in, but we will see how it all stays together. Not sure the engineers were on the right track there, but maybe.

RJ

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
Thanks for all the good ideas. i put them in, but we will see how it all stays together. Not sure the engineers were on the right track there, but maybe.

RJ
I bolted my radiator in about 10 yrs and 30,000+ miles ago using them and they still hold fine. They dampen the core which is soldered together. If the core was bolted hard to the support I bet it would start leaking (cracked solder joints) long before the rubber nut-certs give out... I'm sure there are 40 year cars out there with the orig rubber still in place doing the job!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The originals on my vert are still in place doing the job. The hot rod however ripped them out the first season of wheelies and my heavy Ron Davis radiator is bolted in with no rubber at all any more.

·
Registered
561 Posts
F**d uses them too.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

RJ
They are on my '67 with no issues. And they were on a '95 Wrangler I had in for paint. If they were NG I think the engineers would have eliminated them by now. They don't fare well upon removal but replacements are cheap and easily obtained.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got them in, and they are much stronger than I had thought they would be. Didn't think about the solder. I like my car to be reasonably original, except for the engine, since, when I bought the car, it didn't have the original anyway. Glad I put them in now, but still not sure how much to tighten.

RJ

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
good thread! i just finished installing a brand new 3" thick Griffin for my BBC and ditched the well nuts (driver side) and thru bolted.

Didn't really think about the radiator support twisting (600+ torque) or the thermal expansion. I'll go back to new well nuts but will likely throw one slightly "loose" thru bolt just in case :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Was wondering about this myself, going to be mounting my Cold Case. A lot of FB guys like using rubber grommets as a "vibration pad" on all four mounting bolts. Put the grommet between core support and radiator side mount.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would use the well nuts.

If you use rubber grommets, I would, put it in the core support then if you want put one between that and radiator to stand it off some if you want and run bolt through it vs doing core support/grommet/radiator

I just picked up well nuts for Voltage Regulator mount at Home Depot & Lowes. Had a few sizes

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use anti-seez so they go in very smooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts