Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an aluminum radiator that I want to install on my 67firebird. It does'nt have the side brackets on it, I might weld some on I might not. I was wondering if anyone here has used a radiator panel like the ones off of a 70camaro to hold the raditor in place. Is it just a simple bolt on deal or what?

·
Registered
955 Posts
You can't use the top panel without welding in a bottom panel. The 2nd Generation radiators are sandwiched between the top and bottom panels with rubber mounts on the tanks, top and bottom. It is possible to fabricate a bottom mount but then there is another problem. The 2nd Gen core supports are flat across the middle and the 1st Gen's are crowned. So, the top would have to be bent to fit. You would probably be better off having someone fabricate the side brackets out of aluminum and welding them on for you.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
tad70- Yes it will work. I am in the middle of doing my 67 with an aftermarket radiator. I have taken the basic idea from a 70, and am making some adjustments to the supports because of what 69X11SS has stated. The reason I can not use the side mounts is that the radiator I am using has a 13 plate heat exchanger (oil cooler) build into the driverside tank and my 67 is an RS, so I am limited on how far I can go to the outside of the tanks before I run into the headlight bucket mounts.

The bottom is flat in design with tank cradels like the the ones on a 70 support and the top is two peice's so that I would not have to fabricate a curved panel. The two peice's have tank cradels in them as well for a secure hold. I also purchased some high temp foam rubber and made a strip around the lip in the core support to seal the radiator to the support.....and then put the OE fan shroud over the newely installed brakets and fastened it with screws to the radiator.

I wish I had some pictures, but all I have is ones of the radiator itself....unmounted. I didnt have a spare 70 lower mount laying around, but I think it would fit....although I believe it is a little wider than where the tanks are on a 67-69 radiator, so it would probally have to be modified.....

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just fabbed some up out of some "L" brackets (shelving and garage door bits). I put two on the driver's side, one at the bottom, and reused a stock radiator type piece on the passenger's side. Check it out by linking to my page in my sig and looking at the "summer 2002" section under "my Camaro."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts