Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded for a 1985 Camaro and the previous owner took the stereo with him, but he cut the wires. There looks to be about 10 wires that go nowhere. Does anyone know the wire color codes for the stereo ( ETR 4 speakers)?? Thx in advance Jim

------------------
Camaro2Rn Nebraska

·
Registered
620 Posts
just looked through my Chilto wiring diagrams and they did not include the sterio hook up. my sugestion is pull the dash and rear speaker covers and the wires leading to the speakers you should be able to match up. They should have the same coloring as those found in the radio area.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Look in the junk yards and cut the plug out of another Camaro. Then just match up the wires and soder them back together. Then you can plug it in to another radio and it should work fine.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

·
Registered
70 Posts
the colors Should be as follows:
Yellow= switched 12 volts
orange= constant 12 volts
dark blue= Right rear +
light blue=Right rear -
dark brown= left rear +
yellow= left rear -
dark green= right front +
light green= right front -
grey= left front +
light brown= left front -

I may have front left and right switched, but you can check that easily. using a 9 volt batery touch each set of speaker wires quickly. you should hear a "thump" come from the speaker.
the only place I know to get an original plug is the junkyard( as mentioned earlier) and the good news is you can get it out of just about any GM car. There are two main types, so make sure you get the right one. the older style (the style you should have) is actually 4 connectors, 1 blue (four wires), 1 white (four wires), 1 black (four wires), and 1 black (two wires). the other style is most commonly found as one assembly and is made up of two connectors, 1 blue (four wires) and 1 black (nine wires). If you need any other info, feel free to e-mail me!!!!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If you have a volt/ohm meter (or can borrow one) you can double check. With the car off the speaker wires should read about 4 ohms. With the car on the switched 12V will read say around 12 - 14 volts. After you know for sure what's a speaker, what's power and what's ground a little careful experimenting won't hurt. The when once you get everything right, you can solder and crimp your connections. Just be careful not to connect power to a ground, ground to a speaker output, etc.

I mention this method only because I suspect you will be installing an aftermarket radio that will have different colors than the factory wiring - wire colors can be difficult to see anyway when the light isn't so good or they're faded.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts