Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The pins are attached to the fabric of the ragjoint. They are a safty device, they keep the column connected to the steering box if the rag fails. I believe JimL82 has posted on how much "wobble" there should be. Be looking at / measuring the gaps around the pins, you can tell if the steering shaft is on the same angle as the steering box, as well as if it is "offset" Slightly angled is ok ( _/ ), offset is not ( _-- ). The upper steering column mount is adjustable up and down, and the column can also be moved around some where it passes thru the firewall to adjust it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I hope you are talking about clearance to the pins! The stop pins should NEVER wobble. There should be some clearance between the pins and the slot openings in the steering column flange. The OEM Saginaw flexible coupling had the pins hot staked to the steering gear flange. You will find that if you grind the hot staked head from the OEM stop pin, you will still need to drive the pin out of the flange. They were very securely attached.

The aftermarket rebuild kits have stop pins that are bolted to the steering gear flange. Assuming that the nuts and lockwashers are torqued correctly, this should be a secure connection. The stop pins are a critical safety part of the flexible coupling.

That is why I always recommend that you try and obtain a OEM replacement part rather than trying to rebuild it yourself.

JIML82

1 - 5 of 5 Posts