Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i already have removed the steering column, but can't figure out how to get the rubber coupler off the steering shaft.it is held in place by what looks like two studs.the car is a 67 coupe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind. i found out how to remove the rag joint by googling it.seems you have to cut or chisel the rivets off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are 4 connection points on the joint-two have nuts and bolts and the other two do not. the other two have rivets on one side and a nipple-like stud with no threads.if there was a bolt and nut i wouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think that the flex coupling is off of the gear and he wants to replace the rubber disc. I find most "kits" that are available to rebuild a flexible coupling assembly do not have parts that I would recommend.

The original flex coupling had stop pins holding the rubber disc to the steering gear flange. They had shoulders and were hot riveted in place. They require grinding the upset head off of the pin and then driving the pin out of the gear flange. Replacement pins in the kit usually are different sizes and lengths than original. Hopefully those replacement pins have shoulders so you can attach them with the supplied nuts and lockwashers and you will have a metal to metal joint holding the disc in place.

The real problem is with the supplied bolts that attach the disc to the column flange. I have yet to see a "kit" that has shoulder bolts for this attachment. You should NEVER make a bolted attachment through rubber. You must have bolts with shoulders. Reuse your original rusty bolts but do not use common bolts supplied in the kit.

If at all possible, I would recommend using a OEM part or a salvage part.

Sorry for the rant, but you are steering your car through this assembly.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts