Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just digging into replacing the rag joint on my 68 camaro (Small Block, Power Steering), and not really sure the correct steps to do this - I have never replaced one before - can anyone help with instructions on how to do this? Are there any tips, tricks, gottchas, etc? Also, am I better off to buy the complete steering coupling joint already assembled, or will buying just the steering coupling joint repair set work just as good? Appreciate any help you can provide....

·
15,370 Posts
Definitely buy a complete rag joint (steering coupler), not a repair kit.
Some of the aftermarket suppliers have joints that are better than others. I believe Ricks is one place that advertises theirs as being made like the original and safe. I'm sure others have picked up this practice as well by now.

Make sure the steering wheel\tires are pointing dead straight ahead. You can lift the front wheels off the ground and center the steering wheel by 'feel' really. Then just make sure it stays there while you're replacing the joint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The one thing I am unsure of is how to move the steering column/shaft in order to remove the steering coupler - any advice here?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts