Team Camaro Tech banner

Raising the rear end??

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
Have a question regarding my Firebird. I replaced the rear springs this winter. Multileaf stock style springs. I am actually not quite happy with the stance. I thought the new springs would raise the rear end up a bit but the stance seems to be pretty much the same as it was with the old springs. I am thinking i want to raise the rear end up about one inch...maybe 1.5 inches. Is there any way i can do this without replacing the springs again. And the band aid air shock approach isnt something i want to do either. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hi I looked at your pics. of your car, looks very good I might say, and if you got the same stance what's wrong with that, are your tires rubbing looks like 255-60-15's to me and that’s aprox 28 in dia tire as stock is 26 dia.All the guys running 16/17/18 in. wheels are running aprox 26 dai. tires, So your only alternative with that dia. tire may be air shocks or shock extension's or adding another leaf to your springs…IMO,good luck and Happy Motoring( I might add I don't like shock exten.)

#3 ·
Jerome,
The pics of the firebird that you see are of the car when i first got it. It had air shocks on it at the time and they were what was giving it that stance. I have since replaced with KYB shocks and that lowered the rear. It actually has 14 inch tires on it. 235/60 on back and 215/60s on the front. It want to switch to 15 inch tires/wheels and thats part of the reason i want to raise it a bit in the back. Dont really wanna go shock extensions either. Maybe i will end up calling eaton (where i got the springs) and see what they suggest.

#4 ·
Craig:Sorry maybe I assumed to much ,but 235 are 27 in. dia., so I was close 14 ,15 don't matter as finial dia. is what's counts ,so if you go 15 and 235 you will be same dia. as you got now,Good luck Craig

#5 ·
Install a set of coil-over overload shock springs and then spend some time adjusting them both for height wanted AND side to side pre-load!

It will take about a half a Sat. to do it.

And like at least 3 or 4 try's to get everything dialed in BUT well worth the time and effort b/c your car will be right where you want it, plus it will leave straight as an arrow!!

pdq67

#7 ·
I have the same problem wth my monos. I should have ordered them from Eaton 1.5 inches taller than stock. My plan is to take some original monos and take them to a place that does spring work for the dump trucks and have them re-arch them. I have heard that they do not last, but that is OK. I have scrounged a couple of sets and I will have them all re-arched and just keep swapping them out when they sag. :)

#11 ·
Morning Craig: Alls your worried about is overall dia. Like going from 15 to 18 to 20 in. wheels ,the tire inside dia. is the one that change's and gets bigger,less sidewall on tire. and outside dia stays the same overall dia. Is all that counts…hope that helps…Happy Motoring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.