Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see SS cars with the 2 rally stripes down the center, and I like it, but am a little confused.

I was told that the 2 rally stripes were only on a Z/28.
..and that the Camaro SS came with the hockey stripe across the nose.

Did the Nova SS or Chevelle SS comes with stripes?

What's the scoop? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Tony,
I will speak only to the 1969 model year. The SS model had the two "hockey stick" stripes along the doors and front fenders, but it did not go over the top of the front cowl as in a bumble bee stripe. And yes, the two stripes over the hood and trunk were Z28 with or without the cowl hood. With the popularity of the Z28 stripes, you now see them on all Camaro models. If you are considering adding stripes (either Hockey or Z28), they can be professionally painted on or applied as a decal. PM if you want more info. Best, Charlie 69 RS

·
Registered
146 Posts
I see SS cars with the 2 rally stripes down the center, and I like it, but am a little confused.

I was told that the 2 rally stripes were only on a Z/28.
..and that the Camaro SS came with the hockey stripe across the nose.

Did the Nova SS or Chevelle SS comes with stripes?

What's the scoop? :confused:

I know for a fact that ALL Chevelle SS cars with the SS racing stripes option had stripes that looked like that with them being on the hood and trunk. Ive had many Chevelles before and I always painted them with the SS Stripes that gave them a True Super Sport look by painting the stripes on the hood and trunk lid. The correct chevelle SS stipe had that pin stripe that follows the whole outline of the stripes.

As far as the Camaros go, this is the first Camaro Ive been working on and Im still learning myself. It appears as though you are right about the Z28 thing and SS thing. When I looked up the stencil kits in the CLassic Industries Camaro Parts catalog, that Hockey type stripes were the ones labled as the SS option for the camaro.
The stripes that you are refferring to that go down the hood, like what a Chevelle SS has, were labled as the Z28 Racing stripes.

Hope that helps you out some.

As for my 1968 camaro, I plan on doing the stripes down the hood like a chevelle. I really like the look of those stripes on a camaro with a cowl induction hood...:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Tony, You can use any stripe combination you like. it's your car and it looks great. please yourself. I have people tell me my springs are'nt correct because I went with a multi leaf instead of the mono. Mabe to impress someone because they know. Bottom line is who cares. I wanted muti leaf so thats what I got. Paint it how you like it.:beers: ps I have the rally stripes on an SS and I like it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If I read his question correctly, it was not how should he stripe his car, but rather how did the general stripe the cars. If he is trying to be true to the originals, he needs to know what "true" was.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input...
Yes, I wanted to know what GM did, and why?
It seems they gave different models, different stripes, for different reasons..?

I was planning on using rally stripes.('68'vert)

I see so many of these stripes on old Chevy's,
I just wanted to know what was original, vs. what is popular.

My plain jane resto-mod has a lot of new modifications.
383, 700R4, 4-disk brakes, electric windows, cowl hood, beefy suspension, front & rear spoiler.
I have made so many obvious changes, it's not really a clone of any one thing.

..but based on the upgrades, which badge would better represent my changes? (Z/28 or SS)

·
Registered
580 Posts
My blue coupe has Z/28 runway stripes and "SS" badges... but it is neither.

As Unreal mentioned, only Z11 and Z10 got Z/28 stripes. 67 SS got the bumble bee across the nose. 68 SS across the nose and down the midline of the fender, and 69 SS the hockey stripe.

But today you see Z/28 stripes on just about everything. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.