Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 68 SS, the Rally wheels are 14x6 with 4" from the rear edge of the rim to the lug surface. Right now they will rub the frame on a full wheel turn. Wouldn't I need to go to a 3.5 or 3 offset to put the wheel/tire away from the frame more? As in increasing the distance from the tire to the frame.

Also, I see many first gens with factory deep dish trim rings. Are these 7" wheels or 8"? I like the look of the deeper dish vs what I have now.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I believe that 4" of bs is correct for the 14x6 wheels. Did you convert to disk brakes by any chance?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that 4" of bs is correct for the 14x6 wheels. Did you convert to disk brakes by any chance?

No disc. I wanted to keep it as original as I could as far as drivetrain is concerned. The power brakes as they are really stops the car well.

I want to stop the scrub and get the deeper dish look. By the way, I am running 215-70 T/A's.

This is the deeper dished look I am wanting.

This is my car now except I now have T/A radials on it.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
14 x 7 should give you the look you're after - you'll need new trim rings for the wider wheels or it won't look right. 15 x 7 would also do it, but it sounds like you have new tires. 14 x 7 in the photo below.

The 15 x 8 were Corvette wheels as I recall, and they really don't fit the 1st gens very well - they stick out too far. There might be some aftermarket 15 x 8 rallys to better fit a 1st gen but I've never looked for them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's it! The look I am after. Now that I know it's 14x7, I need to work on the offset. What is the offset on yours?

14 x 7 should give you the look you're after - you'll need new trim rings for the wider wheels or it won't look right. 15 x 7 would also do it, but it sounds like you have new tires. 14 x 7 in the photo below.

The 15 x 8 were Corvette wheels as I recall, and they really don't fit the 1st gens very well - they stick out too far. There might be some aftermarket 15 x 8 rallys to better fit a 1st gen but I've never looked for them.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I sold the wheels/tires several years ago to a friend so I don't know the offset. But they were just standard 14 x 7 repros for a 1st gen Camaro, no special order or anything. The tires were 235/60-14 on all four and never rubbed anywhere (front discs). I realize 69 is different than 68 esp in what will fit out back, but that was my experience.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The Vette 15 x 8 look and fit great and do not stick out to far. Keep in mind it is only 1 inch wider 1/2 in and 1/2 out but give that Muscular look. 235-60 on the rear and 225-60 up front. May rub on the front if the car sits too low. You can usually find some used on ebay or craigslist

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

Tell me my setup doesn't look good! :) I have 15x8 all the way around, 255x60x15 rear and 225x60x15 front. The rims are 4.25 backspace and 3" trim rings.
Kev

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I've got 15x7 FW rallys on mine and they look great. When I do my syspension upgrades over the winter theyre getting replaced with some 17" wheels/tires

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
It's a matter of preference. I don't care for the 15x8s sticking out beyond the rear wheelwell lip. Popular look in the 70s and early 80's.
My tires don't stick out beyond the wheel lip. I think car with narrow rims and tires just look odd. Sure that is what it was like back in the 60's and 70's but a tire inside the wheel lip five to six inches look just plain silly to me......

Kev

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
My tires don't stick out beyond the wheel lip. I think car with narrow rims and tires just look odd. Sure that is what it was like back in the 60's and 70's but a tire inside the wheel lip five to six inches look just plain silly to me......

Kev
I'm talking about being even with the inside of the wheelwell flange. 5-6" is extreme. If you were lowering the car, you could not exceed that flange.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
There's a 14x7 set on craigslist Spartanburg right now for $75. And another good looking set with tires for $400
http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/3935371287.html

Lots of stuff out there if you just search craigslist for "rally" and ignore anything that says it's for a truck. I've got a couple sets of 15" ones but can't bring myself to part with them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drove up to Spartanburg last Friday to buy that set for 400. Nice looking set but not 7's. I was disappointed.

I have a lead on some more in Simpsonville now and may try this again on Friday.

Thanks buddy!

There's a 14x7 set on craigslist Spartanburg right now for $75. And another good looking set with tires for $400
http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/3935371287.html

Lots of stuff out there if you just search craigslist for "rally" and ignore anything that says it's for a truck. I've got a couple sets of 15" ones but can't bring myself to part with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat (just a little behind on this thread) - I've got a 1969 SS and am having a hard time deciding between a set of 15x7 or staggering 15x7 in the front with 15x8 in the rear. anyone got any experience with this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny how we all have our vision of whats cool, my 69 vert has 14x7 ralleys on all four corners, top of the tires sit slightly inside the wheel well exactly like the orange vert above. To me thats a cool look, and correct, its low!
Under aceleration front lifts the rear squats, awesome!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, I want 14 x 7's on all corners.

Funny how we all have our vision of whats cool, my 69 vert has 14x7 ralleys on all four corners, top of the tires sit slightly inside the wheel well exactly like the orange vert above. To me thats a cool look, and correct, its low!
Under aceleration front lifts the rear squats, awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts