Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all members aware that 2nd gen v8 Camaros 73-81 came stock from gm with a ratchet shifter? Firebirds did not have them. Notice the hole where the shift handle goes through the shifter plate is oval not round? put the car in first gear, push center shift handle button and hold it push the lever towards the passenger side and hold it there. let off button. As long as you hold the shifter to the right it will not shift pass second. I discovered this when I had my 73 350 Camaro. Once it shifts let go of the shifter and repeat for 2nd to 3rd shift. It will not go past third. I have not met anyone that knows the 73-81 cars came stock with ratchet shifter - at least the 350ci cars did.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Pontiac Trans Am had a ratchet shifter in the late 70's. I worked for a Pontiac dealer and drove some 77-79 T/As that had them. I think the Pontiac 400 engine was a requirement not the Olds 403.

Jeff

·
Registered
997 Posts
My 71 formula had one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old topic, but I'm a new member.
I just had to throw in my input here. My 74 Camaro came with the factory "slapstick".
I just fiddled with the shifter for a couple of years before I discovered the feature!

check out bangshift.com/bangshift1320/parting-shift-know-gm-equipped-vehicles-secret-factory-ratchet-shifter-1970s-video-proof

1 - 5 of 5 Posts