Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be channel surfing tonight when I came across Super tuner TV on the speed network. I always stop to see if I can get a laugh and I must tell you tonight almost made me fall out of the chair. They were working on a Volkswagen 1.8t and they had just finished with some mods that included reprogramming the computer and the addition of a cold air intake. They proudly proclaimed that this ride was a "Torque Monster" with 215lbs of torque. :eek: I laughed so hard that I about fell out. I am sorry that is just pathetic! When I think of a torque monster I am thinking of something with 500+ lbs not 200. 200 lbs is not enough to make you even feel it. I will never in my life understand this rice rocket crap and I am not no old timer either I am 26

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
What did they start with? what did the increse cost them? Now lets put it in perspective, 215 ft lbs of torque out of a 1.8 is equilivent to 645ft lbs out of a 5.4 (that's about a 327 I think) You'd be well respected in a 350 (5.7L) making 645ft lbs of torque and they are still making more torque per cubic inch!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I do not consider the VW rice. I drive a 2001 VW Beetle 1.8t every day (my daily driver) and absolutely love the car. I have also had the ECU reprogrammed to bump it from 150hp to around 210hp. You can't beat that increase for $500.
Don't get me wrong, I hate rice, but my VW is a great car.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
VW is German, not rice. Now my business partner's car is rice...AND you can feel it in the seat of your pants...
New Mitsubishi Evolution 8 with cold air induction. Try about 280hp in an all-wheel-drive pop can!

Fast.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Originally posted by 69CamaroRacer:
I happened to be channel surfing tonight when I came across Super tuner TV on the speed network. I always stop to see if I can get a laugh and I must tell you tonight almost made me fall out of the chair. They were working on a Volkswagen 1.8t and they had just finished with some mods that included reprogramming the computer and the addition of a cold air intake. They proudly proclaimed that this ride was a "Torque Monster" with 215lbs of torque. :eek: I laughed so hard that I about fell out. I am sorry that is just pathetic! When I think of a torque monster I am thinking of something with 500+ lbs not 200. 200 lbs is not enough to make you even feel it. I will never in my life understand this rice rocket crap and I am not no old timer either I am 26
I heard that as well. Very funny stuff.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think that anything can be rice if the owner wants to make it rice... big fart pipe, body kit, stickers, and "my car will kick your car's a$$" attitude is all it takes. ;)

To each their own. I also have stopped to watch that show every once in awhile just for a good laugh... those co-hosts act like complete morons!

ECU programming is pretty awesome and cost effective with newer cars. I've got a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo, and will someday perform the ECU upgrade... For about $300 you can turn this 300 horse car into a 390 horse car... with aftermarket intake ($100) and exhaust ($600), the car is suddenly has about 415 horses. Not too shabby a pick up for $1,000.

Oh yes, I believe that my car isn't rice.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Originally posted by DjD:
What did they start with? what did the increse cost them? Now lets put it in perspective, 215 ft lbs of torque out of a 1.8 is equilivent to 645ft lbs out of a 5.4 (that's about a 327 I think) You'd be well respected in a 350 (5.7L) making 645ft lbs of torque and they are still making more torque per cubic inch!!
Oh my god DJD has gone to the dark side!
(Taps playing softly in the background)

Dearly beloved we gather here today to pay our last respects to DJD, who fell to the ways of the dark side, he shall be missed by one and all.
Let us remember this lesson DJD has taught us, lest ye be tempted by the DARK SIDE.

R.I.P. DJD

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
ROTFLOL!! I thought installing a big block chevy was going to the "Dark Side"!! ;) I'm a fan of anything that makes torque without stickers.... :D

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
From my limited understanding of import cars (rice, schnitzle, etc), they can make torgue if, and only if, the modifications are in conjunction with the application of stickers. A well tuned ECM will not perform until the tuners "decal" is stuck on the exterior of the car. The decal MUST have access to free flowing air in order to be effective. After all of that, I agree with the dark side. I like all radical street machines. I LOVE good old Detroit IRON.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was considering buy a 03' Golf GTI for my daily driver. Settled for my gas guzzling 02 Silverado. For a 4 cylinder car that gets 30 mpg, that car handles great, rides good with plenty of room (and I'm no little guy), and could smoke my old z28. :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
My Camaro needs more torque on the lug nuts than those cars make at the flywheel. (ha ha)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts