Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a search I am going to do a 3rd gen swap w/ A Cardone box. Just a few questions.I think I have an old quick ratio box in now but it is no 3rd gen box.The car handles pretty good now. It has oe pwr pump.I have the Lee kit thanks to the board.
Is there step by step instructions for us non handy lamons?
How or can I check my pitman arm, I have no clue which one I have or should I change it anyway to avoid a headache?
Do I need an alignment after?
Want to cover or get stainless hoses, no problem?
Thanks people. As usuall, this board makes every thing possible.Brian

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
This is our "bible" on this swap. (thanks Brian!) http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

When I did mine, I changed the pitman arm. It does have a joint, and so it is subject to wear, and it's basically ignored so it was 40 years old, seemed like the thing to do, for no other reason.

You should not need an alignment after.

I'd initially bought a new pressure hose from Rockauto, it was crap, Napa has a good one.

Start both fittings into the new box once out of the car, that will get the american threads on the fittings and the metric threads on the box "used to eachother" Then take em off and it will go much easier once the box is in.

You'll need to pull the pitman arm off the old box and bend the brakeline out of the way a little to get it off, reverse procedure to get the new one on.

Putting a braided sleeve over the pressure line would be almost impossible to do cause of the fittings. Properly routed, the line curves under the motor mount and is nearly invisible. Braided hose kits for power steering are available. Note this is "special hose" teflon lined and made specifically for the enormous pressures in this system.

Have fun, you'll like the results of this one!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ya know i just emailed Jim about this and then i realized i should post the question here so that others doing this can get the info also.

Im doing this swap this weekend on my 67 vert with manual steering. My real question is pertaining to hoses tho. Since i need a pump hoses brackets and everything should i order everything to fit a 67 with p/s ? or can i order parts that will keep me from needed to use the inserts.

I was reading that you need to let the metric thread on the box "get use to" the threads on the hoses. Id rather know if there is a hose/pump combo i can buy since i ned to buy the parts anyhow.

Thanks folks.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Modern cars are all "front steer" so the hoses are very different length and shapes than ours. This would be a problem even if you used a newer pump with new style fittings. With a stock firstgen pump, you'd need a "bastard hose" with old style fittings on one end and metric o-ring fittings on the other. This could certainly be custom made (from "your accurate measurements?") but using a stock type hose for your application, stock firstgen pump, and the Lee inserts works just fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Brian's instructions and write-up is awesome, and thanks to him again for that.

The only thing I did differently - procedure-wise - was to try the swap without unbolting the steering column and sliding it back. I had no trouble getting the new box and rag joint in leaving the column in place. Mine is a 69.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts