looking for some help on decoding this 69 Camaro. Supposedly a 69 RS/SS

This is the car for sale.

16913AEC-9D8D-4FAA-BC79-44F6F02ECBE6.jpeg
7BE4C851-7717-4F49-B5BE-A1DCC21F8E2A.jpeg

Than you for helping out!

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
This is an early build car 10D, which is 4th week of October 1968.
So no codes on the tag other than interior and extrerior colors.

It was originally Lemans Blue with Custom Blue interior. So the interior color was changed and there no telling what else
I see a lot of mods on it. He says original engine so if we saw the front pad stamping that could help verify it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a very nice looking car. But my gut says it is not a real rs/ss. The seller very carefully states that it is a 'numbers matching' engine so I doubt it is original and there is no mention of the status of the transmission. There is also a ton of customization that draws away from the originality of the car if that is very important to you. If you have a $50k budget there may be better examples out there.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hidden headlights converted to electric is another sign of non RS

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Mecum sold a 307 Lemans car yesterday for $60,000. This car looks great and is close to the money. I converted my RSSS to electric, much improved. Check the number of springs on the hinges. Ypu would be hard pressed to build this car for that price SS or not.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,044 Posts
Like Z/28's, there are more SS clones/tribute cars out there than were ever produced. As pointed out above, well-detailed and equipped restomod turnkey clones are bringing big bucks bc 90% of the buyers want them more than they want 100% original numbers matching cars. Personally, I think the '69 Camaro has become something of a legendary icon, and it's an interesting market out there for buyers and sellers.

Mike

Reactions: X-77 keith
1 - 7 of 7 Posts