Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy around here has a 69 427 SS/RS Camaro.Was this car for real in 69? If so would it have been a COPO car or what? The reason i'm askin, is I've never seen a 427 69 Camaro,besides the stripped COPO cars.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
86 Monte Carlo SS

·
Registered
402 Posts
There were COPO cars with 427's yes, but they were stripped down plane jane camaros option/appearance wise.

Definatly not an SS/RS.

------------------
79' Z28 4-spd- built 355, TRW 10:1 forged flat tops, WP SportsmanII heads, Crane Energizer 230/230 duration .480"/.480" lift, Edelbrock Victor Jr., Holley 750cfm, Dynomax headers, dual 3" flowmasters :) 3.73 Posi 10-bolt

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
There were a number of Hi-Perf Chevy dealers doing Camaro "SS427" conversions. Most notably, Baldwin Chevrolet in conjunction with Motion Performance, Nickey Chev, Dick Harrell Performance.

A documented original "SS427" from one of these dealers is quite valuable.

Many COPO 9561 Camaros had few options because they were ordered that way. Most optional equipment was available for the asking.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You could order the RS option, (or just about any other option) with the COPO 9561, but few did. The SS option could not be ordered in conjunction with the COPO 9561.

If it's a Norwood car, check for the X code on the trim tag, next time you see the car.
If it left the factory as an RS, it will be an X11 (small block) or X22 (big block.)

If it was a dealer-converted SS427, the engine code will most likely be CE. Most likely, it's a back yard conversion. SS427 badges are available from resto houses for about $ 50 each.

It may have a 427, or may have a 396. The external differences are subtle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Info guys.I'll check the cowl tag,next time I see the car.I amagine Its a clone of something that was never built.Now what would you call that???

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
86 Monte Carlo SS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts