Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question should be in the engine section, but since the majority of everyone comes here, I took my chances. What is the most common thing to look for when a car won't start. I'm looking at a 69 Chrysler thats being sold for $500 from a friend of mines garage. The car ran last year, but now when he tries to start it all it does is make a clicking sound. My first guess would be to start checking the starter wiring or replace it altogether. (the battery is good). What do you guys think is causing this and what do you recommend doing first? Please, any and all responses will truly be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
absolute first thing I'd check would be the battery cables!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Gas,O2 and a spark is what you need.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Starter Solonoid (sp?) somewhere on the inner fender, maybe firewall, but pretty sure the inner fender. Cheap part. Replace it and car will turn over.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Sitting for a year. Can you turn the engine over by hand just a bit to make sure it will turn?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
bad starter, give it a few hits with a hammer, worked with me!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all of yor responses. I'm going back over there today with all the advie you all have given and will try it all...I'll post back later and let you all know what happened
Thanks

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
They have a ceramic ballast resistor that’s cheap, easy to replace, fails for no reason and keeps the vehicle from starting. They can even ohm out correctly but just won’t work.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone

I found the problem.
After trying almost everything I could, I finally tried replacing the battery and both cables and waddayaknow, the thing turns over and after a few tries starts right up. Before this I tested the battery that was already installed with a voltmeter (while still in the car) and I got a 13v reading., The origional cables had all been tightened and had both ends of the terminals cleaned. This made me believe that the battery was good and the cables were fine. I tried starting the car and nothing but dim dashboard lights and the clicking sound. New battery and cables, all O.K.... (Strange) :eek:

Thanks everyone, I own one to all of you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts