Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 69 camaro coupe that I had the rear leafs replaced years ago. Guy that did the work had about 4 of the bolts that mount the front leaf spring brackets broke off so he spot welded the brackets to the floor of the car. Would like to know how to remove the springs to get at the brackets so that I can remove the welds and mount the brackets correctly. Would also like to know where I could get replacement J clips and bolts.:mad: :( Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
you have to remove the spring perches to remove the springs. If he welded the perches to the car, you'll have to cut the welds to get them off to replace the springs.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Steve -

Welcome to Team Camaro! Well...

The springs won't come out of the brackets unless you sawzall through the through bolts at each end. The intent of the original design was to be able to remove the three bolts that attach the mount to the body, and drop it down to allow room for the through bolt to be removed.

Any of the repro parts houses sell the bolts and J-nuts, and the leaf spring mounts are now reproduced. If they were welded to the frame and floor good enough that they held all this time, you may destroy them when trying to grind/cut the welds.

If you knew the welds were not going to fail, I'd be tempted to leave it alone because I think you may have trouble removing them without damaging them.

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Rodder is correct but don't be confused by him calling the leaf spring mounting brackets - spring perches. Spring perches are welded to the axle housings...

Anyway, even if you could loosen the bolt and nut going through the front spring eye you can't remover it from the mounting bracket. You'll have to figure a way to cut the mounting brackets where they are welded... Or like Eric suggests cutting the bolts on either side of the spring eye if you can get a blade in there...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replys,I have a small air cutter disc that should work fine on the welds. The bolts that are still in are just spinning around in the nut plate what would be the best way to remove those bolts? Also it looks like from what I am reading in this forum that using a 4x4 across the rear of the car in front of the brackets would be the best way to jack the car up. Would I only need to remove the front bolts and leave the rear leaf spring connected to the frame? thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. are the brackets for multi leaf springs the same as the ones used on single leaf springs?thanks again

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
While you have the cutoff wheel out, just buzz the heads off the remaining bolts. After you get the brackets down, you can use a coat hanger or similar wire to fish the piece of J-nut and bolt end out through one of the slots in the frame rail.

I was able to support my car with 6-ton jack stands under the horizontal part of the frame rail immediately adjacent to the brackets with an addtional pair of stands loose under the rockers in the event of catastrophic failure or slipping of the stands under the rails. Since you're going to want to be working with those brackets while the rear of the srpings are attached, you may just want to support it on the rails and put some timber cribbing a few feet forward.

And yes, the front spring brackets are the same mono or multi. Hence Dennis's sensitivity for the correct terminology, because the perches ARE different. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question would I also need the large bolt that mounts the front spring to the bracket or any other parts that I will need? thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
D0h! Thanks for the correction in terms, DjD.

bigsteve: yes, you'll probably want to replace the bolts. I couldn't get one of my bolts out with any amount of hammering and had to cut & drill it to retrieve the bracket.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Are you going to take the bolt out? If the leaf springs were relatively recently installed and the front eye bushing looks okay, I'd just leave it alone.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
How about the quality from Eaton Springs? J nuts, bolts, etc.?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
A Dremel tool works good also on removing the heads off those 3 bolts. Sometimes it hard to get a grinder in some of those spots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts