Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rear axle off of a guy that took it out of his 68 Camaro. It has drum brakes and a 10 bolt pumpkin.

How do I determine if it is a posi or locker?
I removed the cover and it checked it out, there was a number I got off of the large gear that runs vertically but I forgot to bring it with me and its still in the garage written on an envelope.

By looking at the gears, is there something I can look for that will tell me posi, locker or not?

Not sure if this matters but when I turn one wheel, the other one turns too.
On my 12 bolt, I see adjacent to that large vertical gear is an apparatus that has these springs. It reminds me of a clutch.

On this diff, there is a small housing of sorts in the center, adjacent to the large vertical gear and in that housing I can see what seems to be 4 gears. (Spider gears)?
1 on top and bottom and two on the sides and they all mesh.

Can someone post some pictures of typical ten bolts? Posi's, lockers and standard diffs?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Sounds like an open diff.
Hold the pinion with one hand and turn the axle with the other. If you can easily turn it and the other axle rotates in the opposite direction, its open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.