Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good source for brake lamp sockets? I have a 67, and they are falling apart. I need the ones for dual bulbs. (looking for best quality) Thanks in advance for any advice, Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BPOS, many years ago I replaced one with the parts-store variety but it wasn't as good of quality as the originals.
Any more suggestions? Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
x2 getting them from autozone. I wound up buying 4 online, and they turned out to be crap (the bulbs wouldn't fit). Went to autozone (paid slightly more) and bought 4 and they worked perfectly.

If you are having issues with them falling out, apply a little clear permatex between the plastic and housing. No issues with them falling out for me anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys. I decided to get them from NAPA after looking at the ones from pep-boys/autozone/reillys. The quality was a little better. Scott

·
Premium Member
19,656 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I decided to get them from NAPA after looking at the ones from pep-boys/autozone/reillys. The quality was a little better. Scott
Scott were they plastic or metal?

x2 getting them from autozone. I wound up buying 4 online, and they turned out to be crap (the bulbs wouldn't fit). Went to autozone (paid slightly more) and bought 4 and they worked perfectly.

If you are having issues with them falling out, apply a little clear permatex between the plastic and housing. No issues with them falling out for me anymore.
You know the socket picks up the ground from the tail light housing. If the socket is loose the ground may not be good and if you apply sealant it may make it worse.

Roger

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I use the original ones and solder the wires right to the bulbs. Never a bad connection and they don't get driven enough to worry about ever changing them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roger,
The ones I bought were white plastic outer shells. I have seen metal cages years ago. Haven't seen any of those in a long time though. The ones I got from Napa were sturdy and clipped in nice. I put the LED tail-light/lens replacements in my car. They look pretty slick! Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Myfirst69,
That is a good suggestion. There probably is a large cost-difference though. The lamp sockets (4) cost a little more than 20 bucks. I'm pretty surre that rear harness is a bit more........ I am also handy with a soldering iron so it worked out good fo me. Thanks fo the advice, Scott

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
If you don't want to go with after market Taiwanese junk, check out stevescamaroparts.com. He has a lot of OEM and NOS parts around. Best of all, when you call, you can actually talk to STEVE. He seemed really knowledgeable on things like this. I was rebuilding a OEM dash and harness and he knew exactly what I needed, while parts houses all told me "you have to buy a whole new harness!" If he doesn't have it or it's not in perfect working condition, he'll tell you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts