Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can usually figure this out: brakes are too tight or sticking but these are all brand new parts and there are no signs of sticking.

Heck the drum isn't even really hot to the touch like I had expected.

New parts have roughly 50 miles on them--is it just curing still? I don't drive the car enough right now to really see, but definitely will in the future.

Note: I did change the rear axle and swapped the new parts to the new axles. I don't recall smelling the brakes before that, but may have.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New pads and drums?
if so they are still embedding and will smell untill the break in is deemed finished
Kind of what I thought,
Drums weren't new, but were roughed up with scotch bright to clean them up. Everything else such as hardware, pads, and cylinders were new.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
did you true the new shoes to the drums?

if not they will eventually wear true which may cause some smell from new shoes until they fully bed to the drum

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you true the new shoes to the drums?

if not they will eventually wear true which may cause some smell from new shoes until they fully bed to the drum
No I did not, the old shoes could have probably stayed in, but they were rusty from sitting. Didn't think about that, but you're probably right, which is why the drums aren't hot.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
back in the day when you bought new shoes and had your drums turned at the auto parts store, NAPA, they then trued the new shoes to the drums.

A friend of mine still has his equipment to do this but it's basically a lost process now

·
Registered
556 Posts
What break-in procedure did you use for the new parts? I know Powerstop has pretty detailed instructions on their parts.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What break-in procedure did you use for the new parts? I know Powerstop has pretty detailed instructions on their parts.
Slow stops. Time to cool, one hard one, cool. Then go through the phase again. 1 or 2 times.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
That procedure of seasoning the brakes only works with fresh or turned rotors and drums. If the brakes are not sticking the smell will eventually go away, but will never stop as good as if truly seasoned.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
616 Posts
You said you replaced the axle, are you absolutely sure the axle seal is not leaking on drum? That will give an odd smell. 50 miles on shoes should have broken in long ago.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did you jack it up and try turning each wheel to check for drag. Also, if the hose is bad it acts like a check valve and the release is slow. Stomp the brakes and then spin the wheels again. Just a thought if you did not replace the hose too, they do go bad.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
626 Posts
I asked an engineer about this many years ago.
I didn’t think there was much science involved, but perhaps there’s something to burnishing.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You said you replaced the axle, are you absolutely sure the axle seal is not leaking on drum? That will give an odd smell. 50 miles on shoes should have broken in long ago.
It is not a gear oil smell(or burning for that matter) and it is dry.
I want to say it is dragging drums, but usually when they drag they get hot but these are about as cool as can be(can hold my hand against them after stopping to get out to check)

I'll have to go through and check everything again. This is definitely a brake smell.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you jack it up and try turning each wheel to check for drag. Also, if the hose is bad it acts like a check valve and the release is slow. Stomp the brakes and then spin the wheels again. Just a thought if you did not replace the hose too, they do go bad.
I will give it a try; however, it is a POSI rear end so if one is locked both will be so it shouldn't be hard to check

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
616 Posts
It is not a gear oil smell(or burning for that matter) and it is dry.
I want to say it is dragging drums, but usually when they drag they get hot but these are about as cool as can be(can hold my hand against them after stopping to get out to check)

I'll have to go through and check everything again. This is definitely a brake smell.
If like you say the drums are cold to the touch, another thing to consider is the adjustment is off to where the rears are not contacting correctly and the fronts are doing all the work and getting hot?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If like you say the drums are cold to the touch, another thing to consider is the adjustment is off to where the rears are not contacting correctly and the fronts are doing all the work and getting hot?
Front's are also just warm, but not smelly like the rear.
It smells like brake drag, but it seems like they aren't dragging to generate heat?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
has the rear soft brake line been replaced?
No it has not, I will look into that next.
If its of unknown age, let alone original. replace it
as mentioned, it will rot from inside and then can become restrictive. This can cause the rear brakes to slowly release....but also slowly engage

IMHO, worth the $12 to replace

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
When my car was on the road before i started the resto my rear rubber line was constricted and the rear brakes would smoke. Car had 500 hp so i didnt notice the drag lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts