Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the freeway today and when I came to a stop the rear brakes were smoking. For some reason the fluid pressure is not releasing. It's stock 68 rear drums. The fronts were switched over to power disk with a SSBC conversion kit about 4 years ago. Can anyone tell me the sequence of thing to check. I've heard there is a rubber hose right before it splits to the two lines at the rear and this may be the problem if old. Help! I just got the 700R4 put in and can't do any cruising like this!!! :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
If you open the cylinder bleeder valves and they loosen, then the fluid is not returning back for some reason. Possibly the hose you mention. Like in electrical troubleshooting, you need to start at the failing device, in this case the cylinders, then go back. The next thing to check will be the rubber hose, assuming "both" metal lines aren't clogged. Next apply the brakes again, 'til you notice they are locked again, and disconnect the rubber line, at the front end portion. I doubt damaged cylinders, by themself, are locking both sides at the same time. Be patient if you need to un screw the mentioned hose, they tend to freeze.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the key is that both rear brakes are equally locked up which would mean the trouble is either at or ahead of the split. Thanks for the tip! Since everything I've done in a while has wound up being a major pain the rear, I think I'm way overdue for something to actually not be as bad as I thought for once. What are the odds???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts