Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what kind of rearend this is? it's a 67, axle tube stamp is: PW 0920G

just want to know the ratio, thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, I will recheck a bit later, last time I checked, it was a ten bolt. I'll have to get a better look at it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey lil beast

You sure it's the original rear?? Does it have a smooth cover? If so, it's an 8.5 and it's not original. This is what I came up with for a PW code.

PW 3.08 posi 75-79 Nova, Apollo, Ventura etc.
O Oldsmobile posi
920 Sept. 20th
G Detroit gear and axle division

Mark

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, just double checked with better light and it's still PW 0920G. It's also a ten bolt rearend.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well this is quite strange. I checked for a third time, it still says PW, and the casing is not smooth. it has the inverted "V". Also, I think it's the original because the mono's are still on there and they look like they haven't been touched in a good 30 years. Anyone other ideas? This is getting weird. 10 bolt with inverted "v" "PW O920G"

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey lil beast

If you are just trying to find out the ratio, you can count the revolutions of the driveshaft. If it's an open rear (tires turn in opposite directions when spun with car raised) jack ONE rear tire off the ground, put the tranny in neutral and spin the tire exactly TWO revolutions. The number of revolutions the shaft makes is your gear ratio. 2 3/4 turns=2.73 3 and a "hair" turns=3.08 3 1/4 turns=3.23 etc.

Mark

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks a bunch guys, I was off in LA for the weekend, come back to find my weather seals at my door step, and this info. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I may be wrong, Kurt usually it not. I offer the following for consideration.

This code does not show up in the Chevy parts catalog for any Camaro thru 1974, only for a 1972 Nova?

PW 0920G

The interchange shows PW as being one of the following;

2.73 Locking 10 bolt cover 7&1/2" ring gear
1982-83 Camaro & Firebird

3.08 (40-13)Locking 10 bolt cover 8&1/2" ring gear
1975-81 Camaro & Firebird

3.42 (41-12)Locking
Buick Wildcat 1968

2.73 (41-15)non-locking
1972 Nova

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree with Kurt on this. I saw it in the Camaro Untold Secrets web site. It's like the QL code 12 bolt 3.31 non posi I found. Not listed anywhere but was listed at that web site as a 67. These were for the Canadian cars I believe. 10 bolt 2.73 or 3.08.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Thanks elcamino!
PW shows up in 2 GM sources: the service bulletins and a 72 Camaro only parts catalog.
And we've confirmed the ratio in a car.

Same with the QL ration. I'm not aware of any ratio being used in only one market. The QL was sold in the US too.

The only way to really confirm the PW decode is to see the VIN and trim tag for the car to make sure they match or get the casting date from the center section.
Or spin the rear and count.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

1 - 15 of 15 Posts