Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
put a speaker grill in the rear package
tray and put a couple 120mm computer fans there.

{I like the blonde suggestion too! ;) }

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by 36j1967:
Jump in the backseat with a real hot blonde!
Uhhh, this would tend to fog the windows for me! And then...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yea, but willem wants to defrost not defog! P.S at my age I would just hope to stay awake till after.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Willem, the defroster/fogger on early camaros consisted of a small electric fan. The blade portion was enclosed in a shroud bolted to the underside of the package tray and a grill for ventillation on the interior. It was not heated, just circulated the interior air against the rear glass. I do have them in my camaros and cant tell you how effective they would be in a cold climate? My guess is "not very". They come up on ebay from time to time and could be added with little complication needing a simply switch and a power source to the battery. Check back for advice on the wiring when you get to that point.
Pat
Keep in mind there are plenty of blondes in Holland

·
Registered
183 Posts
A friend of mine is a computer tech. There are some pretty high-end PC fans out there for those guys who hot-rod their PC's. There's some sqirrel-cage ones that move a ton of air. I think they're 12V too?? I'm positive one of those would work for you. I like the PC fan/ speaker grill idea. Maybe two grills/ 2 fans?
Up here in Western Canada fans were the only option a lot of times if you drove old cars in the winter. They re-circ'd the (somewhat) heated interior air onto the back window. They work ok, but they take a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Willem,
Vintage Air sells some rear defroster kits. Looks like it is on page 26/27 of the catalog. My connection is to slow to d/l the whole catalog but I had looked at them before.

·
15,370 Posts
JC Whitney has them.... cheap too:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&TID=100&productId=2744&catalogId=10101&langId=-1

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&TID=100&productId=1040&catalogId=10101&langId=-1

You'd have to adapt the wiring for the first one, and get creative with the mounting of the second one, but they have heat! I just might try the second unit.... mount it under the package tray and aim it through speaker grills or perforated package tray liner.

·
15,370 Posts
Willem, I'll bet you can find something just like the second one where you live SOMEWHERE. There's got to be a heated blower that will work in Europe someplace.
Good luck! If you can't find one anywhere, let me know. I can always get it and mail it to you. Find out what shipping costs will be from JC Whitney to you and we'll see if it's cheaper for someone here to buy it, then mail it to you. I know a 15 pound package cost me somewhere around $30 to mail to Denmark from where I live.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hoi Willem,

Did you already look at Conrad.nl, maybe they will have them as they are a very big electronics shop...
My '67 came with the rear defroster, but I think you can use the bigger computer vents for your application.

Goodluck with the quest for the defroster.... I know finding parts here is not an easy task

·
Registered
467 Posts
There are little heated blowers for sale at some of the VW Beetle shops. They use them for the windscreen. But I would use a product used by some motorcycle riders to prevent their helmets from fogging up, you can get it at any motorcycle dealer or even some gas stations...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts