Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this, so bear with me.

What options do I have for a rear defroster for my 67 Coupe?

I've been looking at using a unit for a 69, but it seems like these are rare & pricey. Does anyone may a reproduction of this unit?

Another option that I considered is an add on heating element like the ones by Frost Fighter (www.frostfighter.com), but the reviews I've read are consistently positive.

I was hoping that Classic Auto Glass Innovations might have a defroster built into their flush glass kits, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Are there any other options I missed? :confused:

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I've been looking at using a unit for a 69, but it seems like these are rare & pricey. Does anyone may a reproduction of this unit?
I used to have the factory defroster yrs ago...eventually it stopped working, and sinceI deleted the exterial radio aerial I used that for many yrs...
Eventualy is just got scrappy and removed it.

Frankly the rear window in a 1st gen is not prone to misting up...when it does it seems a cracked side window, breezes hooks in around the rear andclears it very quick.
The single thing that makes any window mist quick is dirt particuls the air bound water molecules attach to very easy....A polished surface isa not prone to misting as easy as a unpolished.....wiping mist off makes it prone to misting up faster, and clearing slower next time

Big rule in my cars...NEVER wipe a window.....
I drive in winter, rain etc....Autumn all the windows on all our cars get a good clean then polish with a high quality car polish.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant answer your concerns but I have a question. A defroster in Hermosa Beach? Really?
Yeah, I know it sounds incredible!

Where I'm at we get heavy fog early in the morning. I use the car as my daily driver and unfortunately have to leave it parked in the driveway at night. It's always been an issue down here, but more so since we've had unseasonably cold weather the last 10 months.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I know what your saying louie. I lived in Redondo for about 5 years before getting stationed here. But I had a garage to keep the car in, so no problems. After the morning fog burned off it was great weather.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post this, so bear with me.

What options do I have for a rear defroster for my 67 Coupe?

Another option that I considered is an add on heating element like the ones by Frost Fighter (www.frostfighter.com), but the reviews I've read are consistently positive.

I was hoping that Classic Auto Glass Innovations might have a defroster built into their flush glass kits, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Are there any other options I missed? :confused:
An orignal functioning OEM switch for the '67 / '68 will be tha hardest part to find if you want to go all original.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John: Yeah, it's no big deal once the car warms up, but it takes a while. I don't know when you were last out here, but this last year has been the coldest and wettest that I can remember. Really odd weather.

Steve: Thanks for the tip. I'm not worried about originallity per se. I figured the 69 unit would be the easiest to mount. I can wire in a different switch in a discrete location.

-Louie

·
Registered
805 Posts
John: Yeah, it's no big deal once the car warms up, but it takes a while. I don't know when you were last out here, but this last year has been the coldest and wettest that I can remember. Really odd weather.

Steve: Thanks for the tip. I'm not worried about originallity per se. I figured the 69 unit would be the easiest to mount. I can wire in a different switch in a discrete location.

-Louie
Yes I wired in a a SPST type toggle switch under the dash on my '68, only one speed - but who really cares, can't hear the defoster over the LT1 anyhow . . .

. . . most would never notice an original switch anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts