Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local yard today pilfering a Nova for sub frame and e brake parts and noticed a 89 Camaro with rear discs will they work on a 12 bolt? I beleave it was 9 bolt? Anyway I aslo notice some other rear disc cars there. What rear discs will bolt to a 12 bolt? Than what all will I need to get?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike,
Ahhh, the good old Aussie 9 bolt 3rd gen. rear end. There were two rear disc brake setups (that I'm aware of) during the '82-'92 F-body run.
</font>
  • 1LE PBR C4 "style" setup</font>
  • Cast Iron Caliper setup (Moraine)</font>
Last time I looked at a cast iron caliper setup (Moraine), I don't think the axle flange was the same pattern as our traditional Chevy bolt pattern was. Its been a year or two since I've fooled with this setup in the 'yard.

The 1LE setup is very rare! It uses a PBR C4 style caliper and rotor. There was a guy over on Team Chevelle that posted about scoring this setup in a junkyard, but I was under the impression you could only get this setup on a 1LE car :confused:

If you want rear discs, I would suggest the 4th gen. f-body PBR setups. The '93-'97 uses another C4 PBR style caliper and rotor while the '98-'02 setup uses the C5 style caliper, e-brake and rotor design.

Backing plates from www.gmpartsdirect.com can be had for $25 a side for the '93-'97 setup and about $13 a side for the third gen. setup.

Check out Torker's website for his '93-'97 F-body rear disc swap: http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
all 89-92 camaros came with the pbr aluminum caliper setup and yes, they will fit onto both the 10 bolt and 12 bolt rearends. it`s a direct fit. the only modification is to the brake hard line and to the parking brake cables. I have this exact setup on my 67 camaro now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts