Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years back my cousin purchased I believe it was a 69 Camaro rear disk brake kit for his 55 Chevy Belair. This kit was mounted to a Ford 9" rear end housing. I recall helping him with the installation. I recall trying to get the bleeder screws on the calipers to face up, however, no matter what we tried we could not get the calipers installed with the bleeder screws facing up. So, for years the bleeder screws have been facing down and are still in that position. This is ok as long as you don't have to bleed the brakes. Back then after we first installed the kit, we realized that we could not bleed the rear brakes with the bleeder screws facing down. So, we removed the two rear calipers and rotated them so that the bleeder screws faced up. We used plastic tie straps to hold the calipers in place while we bled the brakes. We also had to cut some wood the same thickness of the rotors and placed the wood where the wheel cylinders are. The wood takes the place of the rotors. This is how we got to bleed the brakes back then. My question is does anyone know if GM did in fact design calipers for the early model Camaro with the bleeder screws facing down? Like I mentioned above, we tried swapping out the left and right side calipers at that time and could not get them to mount properly. The only way we were able to get the calipers installed was with the bleeder screws facing down. I would not think that GM would design calipers with the bleeder screws facing down. But, you never know. At least we aren't aware of it. With that said, what factory position is the 69 Camaro's bleeder screw in, up or down? Thank you for your support.

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
GM did not design calipers with bleed screws at the bottom. It sounds like maybe you have the mounts swapped right to left but I am guessing.
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM did not design calipers with bleed screws at the bottom. It sounds like maybe you have the mounts swapped right to left but I am guessing.
Don
I just got off the phone with a tech rep from Speedway Motors which is where we purchased the kit from and he confirmed that the bleeder screw from the kit is suppose to face up. Also, the caliper from the kit is not fabricated by GM. Not sure where Speedway Motors orders their parts from, however, it is not from GM. May be from a foreign country, who knows. With that said I guess we have to take a good look at how we installed the kit and hopefully we can find out where we went wrong. I will post our findings here when ever we get the chance to do the inspections. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with Don,
Do you have any pictures?
No, I don't have any pictures at this time. However, when I can find the time to go to his house and do the inspections, I will take some pictures. Thank you, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
The 55 Bel Air didn't have staggered shocks like the 69 Camaro. Non staggered kit won't work.
You need two left or two right hand calipers, I didn't remember which.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 55 Bel Air didn't have staggered shocks like the 69 Camaro. Non staggered kit won't work.
Ok, this may be why we couldn't get the bleeder screw to face up. I will check on this. I found out from Speedway Motors that the part number for the kit that we purchased in Sept of 2012 is: 91031921. He said that when you punch in this part number on their web-site, they have an install video that I can view and perhaps see that the bleeder screw does face up. If anyone wants to check it out let me know what you find. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Wasn't the 67 the only 1st gen with staggered rear shocks??

Thought 68-69 were no staggered

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I watched the Speedway Motors video for the installation of the disk brake kit that we have. The brake bleeder screw does appear to face up (not all the way up to the top, perhaps 3/4 way up) and faces forward of the car. It appears to be located under the hand brake cable spring bracket. Also, the caliper is mounted on the rear side of the axle housing. Not sure how we mounted our caliper. I need to check on this as well. Remember, we did the install in 2012, several years ago, so my memory is not that good. Besides that I'm now 72 years old and my cousin is 79 years old. That doesn't help at all. Much to check on. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Wasn't the 67 the only 1st gen with staggered rear shocks??

Thought 68-69 were no staggered
67 was the non staggered year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what I found when I typed in the kit number from Speedway Motors that we supposedly have. I also found out that the design of these Calipers are taken from a 1979-1985 Cadillac Seville not from a Camaro as I thought it was. The part numbers are: 91031046-L and 91031046-R. We shall see when I get to my cousins house if these are what we actually have. I'll post my findings later. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Not from a stock 69. My SSBC retro kit for my 68 uses the Cadillac calipers also. Never had a problem. Bleeds go up.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Those are the calipers I had.
It's a different kit for staggered vs standard location on one side.

You can see the caliper brackets in this picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are the calipers I had.
It's a different kit for staggered vs standard location on one side.

You can see the caliper brackets in this picture. View attachment 263816
Yes, the video I watched from Speedway Motors shows the tech reps mounting the driver side caliper from rear of the axle housing. They did not show where the passenger side mounts. Your driver side is shown mounting from the front of the axle housing and your passenger side is shown mounting from the rear of your axle housing. I assume this all depends on where your shock absorber bolts to. Thanks for the picture, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
It all depends on where those calipers are meant to be located, either forward or behind the axle.
My example is a brake conversion using 2002 Camaro brakes on a 68 Camaro. On the 2002 Camaro the calipers are both mounted on the forward side of the axle. That said, if you run staggered shocks you would use two drivers side calipers to fit opposite of the shock on both sides of a 68-69 Camaro. On a 67 you would both right and left to locate the calipers behind the axle. If you mistakingly got the pass side caliper for a 68-69 they would have the bleeders facing down.
A 68-69 Camaro has the shocks are located to the right side when looking at it from in front of the wheel.
On your 55 Chevy, what side are the shocks?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Yes, the video I watched from Speedway Motors shows the tech reps mounting the driver side caliper from rear of the axle housing. They did not show where the passenger side mounts. Your driver side is shown mounting from the front of the axle housing and your passenger side is shown mounting from the rear of your axle housing. I assume this all depends on where your shock absorber bolts to. Thanks for the picture, Tommy.
When I ran that setup, the shocks where in the stock staggered locations.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have those on my Camaro. Been using them for 20 years.

The calipers have to be behind the axle. You will never be able to hook up the E-brake cables with the caliper in front of the axle.

Edited to add: Well, unless you somehow have a very long shielded cable to loop all the way around and return forward.

Also, these calipers are inside the wheel backspace ... the shocks should not be a concern.

Or so it seems to me. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It all depends on where those calipers are meant to be located, either forward or behind the axle.
My example is a brake conversion using 2002 Camaro brakes on a 68 Camaro. On the 2002 Camaro the calipers are both mounted on the forward side of the axle. That said, if you run staggered shocks you would use two drivers side calipers to fit opposite of the shock on both sides of a 68-69 Camaro. On a 67 you would both right and left to locate the calipers behind the axle. If you mistakingly got the pass side caliper for a 68-69 they would have the bleeders facing down.
A 68-69 Camaro has the shocks are located to the right side when looking at it from in front of the wheel.
On your 55 Chevy, what side are the shocks?
The car is at my cousins house so I'm guessing, however almost positive that both shocks are in the front of the rear end housing. Thank you, Tommy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts