Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many others out there have had problems getting the rear diff. of your car to center properly? I have tried 2 diff. sets of springs and measured everything i could think of and its still off about 3/4" Its driving me crazy, anyone out there experience this prob? any good solutions?

thanks again guys...

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Quikchevy, which car is it? Is the rearend cocked at an angle? Or forward to far 3/4". What are the springs out of your using? are they new? Were your spring perches rewelded on the rearend maybe? That would mess up the works. Or maybe the front spring perches were changed out with the wrong ones somewhere down the road. Just throwing things out there, what do you think?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its my 68 convertible....the springs are used mono's and im not sure if it sat right in the car it was in before! the rear diff appears to be an aftermarket housing but i did measure EVERYTHING and its ok! just seems like maybe the springs are bent sideways

its off center of the car meaning its closer to the fenderwell lip on one side than the other!

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!

·
Retired
26,778 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,907 Posts
I would suggest to measure the car from LF lower ball joint to RR spring index head, and RF lower ball joint to LR spring index head. This is cross measurement to see if car is straight. There should be no more than 1/2 inch difference between the two measurements. Then I'd measure from qtr panel to spring index head to see if qtr's are straight, car could have been wrecked earlier in its life and repaired poorly.

As mentioned earlier, check rear end code, right year? or a replacement? Spring pads asysmetrical? Rear frame rails ever been replaced correctly? Is driveshaft parallel in tunnel? Both axle shafts the same length and the same style?

Good Luck, Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts