Team Camaro Tech banner

Rear end and axel width 1967 Camaro

14K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  kdd1967 
#1 ·
So here is my dilema. I have a 1967 Camaro and I am replacing everything in the rear of the car (i.e. wheels, mini-tubs, rear-end, suspension). I don't have anything yet and I'm not sure what to get first. My thought was to get the the rear end housing and axles first then adjust my wheel dimensions (i.e. backspacing) to fit. I'm not sure what width to get though. I plan on putting a 18x12 rim with 315s. What part should I start with?

#2 ·
You are starting with the wrong part. Anytime you are going to have a custom rear end built you always start with the wheels and tires. Put the wheels and tires under the car the way that you want them to run and then measure the distance between the mounting surfaces. This is your total rear end width. Be sure to subtract the thickness of the brake drums or rotors.

#5 ·
You'll have to mini tub to get 315s in. & you can get those on 18x11's
You were asking about the Heidts 4 link system on the other board. I have their 4 link set up with their 58" Ford 9" and 315s fit no problem.
Its not on the road yet, so I can not give you any info on ride, etc.
Thanks for the info in Heidts. I'm either going to go with that or a BMR torque arm setup. I've been doing some research and I've only found a few charts out there that show the recommended wheel size for a tire and all of them say that the 11" wheel can fit a max of 305. Of course I believe you. Just curious if you just knew they would fit or did you find some other information that told you this. As I've been researching I've also heard other people use 11" for 315 but I don't see where they got the info.

tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart]Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

#10 ·
This is off the www.tiresize.com site, then when you the size of tire you want, you can search those tires and what they recommend for rim width.
https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Azenis-RT-615K.htm
Falkens suggest 10.5 - 11.5 and recommend 11" wide rims for their 315s.
I have 315/30 18 Falkens on my 18 x 11s in the rear and have plenty of room, could probably squeeze in morewidth, but my wheels won't fit anything more.

#6 ·
You are starting with the wrong part. Anytime you are going to have a custom rear end built you always start with the wheels and tires. Put the wheels and tires under the car the way that you want them to run and then measure the distance between the mounting surfaces. This is your total rear end width. Be sure to subtract the thickness of the brake drums or rotors.
It seems most of the companies that I want to get wheel from request the dimension from the end of your axel to your inner wheel well.

zeforged.com/pdf/fitment_guide.pdf

That's why I'm so confused on what to do first.

#7 ·
I am in the middle of what you are talking about doing. It is going to be hard for you if you want to look at a guide somewhere, order stuff, and hope it fits. The only way to be certain is to start with the body and finish with the rear. Get the body work done. Gonna roll your lips? I'm not. Costs me some tire size. Who's tubs? How well installed? Who's tires fit what width? What wheels? At what offset? You cant approach this generalizing. My body is ready for the back end. I have picked a tire and a wheel for that tire. When i am ready for that step i will get them, place them, and measure for the rear.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Do you like wheels with a deep dish or do you like them with the center sitting out more to the outside? Figure out what you want the wheels to look like and then order them with the tires that you want. Get them under the car and measure for the rear end width.

#11 ·
I am running 315/30/18 on a F body that was mini tubbed. My rims are 11" wide. The tires are made by Michelin. You should consider the width and backspace of the front rims. The front tire sizes are more stringent. Their size and backspace might influence your selection of the size and offset of the rear rims.

You need to commit to the size of the tires, rims, selection of brakes, and the type of axle you want. Make sure the components you select will work together before you buy them.

I made a custom length axle. Below is a link to the way I measured for the correct length:

It starts on post 371. Post #404 might be informative.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/133-build-projects/210893-1969-firebird-convertible-25.html

#12 ·
The BMR torque arm requires a Ford nine inch housing to bolt to. I personally refuse to add more parasitic drag to my drive line by using a Ford designed nine inch (which even Ford won't use in a heavy duty application) when there are lighter cheaper and stronger axles available from Dana-Spicer. My rear end of choice is a Dana 60.

Since you have to hack off the live axle ends any way you can cut it down to any length you want. Here is an article the supports my claims (check current pricing from Currie, or Moser for price after you build the strongest nine inch offered on the parts page you will find the price exceeds the cost of the Dana 60):

9-Inch Vs. 12-Bolt Rearend Compararison - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

Drivetrain Power Loss - Hot Rod Network

You can source a Dana 60 from under a Ford F250 through F450 light truck (because Ford engineers think a Dana 60 is a stronger and cheaper alternative to the nine inch rear which only became popular with racers because GM stopped buying the Dana 44/Spicer 12 bolt rear), or buy one customer made from Strange, Currie, and Moser.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.