Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone can decipher my rear end code and cowl tags. The rear is as follows BR 0107G1 with an a stamped near the pass. spring perch and an E under the other the other numbers. The cowl tag is as follows ST 69 12437 NOR 216738BDY
TR 712 69BPNT
01 B X66

:thumbsup: Thanks Dan E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big Block SS Car?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Dan - Welcome to Team Camaro!

The rear end decodes as a 12-bolt, 3.07 posi, assembled January 7th at the Chevy Gear and Axle Plant, 1st shift. The BR code was also used for the same axle and ratio in the 68 Model Year, so to be as sure as you can be, you'd check the casting numbers and dates on the center section. But, it lines up well with your build date.

Tag decodes as:

Decode for body number: 216738

01B = Built the Second week of January.
69-12437 = Coupe.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
712 = Custom Black Bucket Seats.
69-B = Lower Color is Cortez Silver and the Vinyl Top Color is Black.
X66 = SS396 without style trim

As long as the tag is real and lines up with the VIN, looks good for a BB car. Nice!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by lining up with the vin, should the fisher body code be the same as the vin, i've read it shouldn't matter?

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Dan the VIN and trim tag are never the same, but they need to be within a range of numbers that each tells you apox. when the numbers were assigned to that car. If a tag was swapped out, the range might no longer be in sync, meaning a clone was possibly created.
This thread should be in the TAG section too. Not the Welcome area... but welcome anyway :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks I will correlate my questions to the proper channel from here on it sorry bout that, its just that the more digging i do on this car the more questions i have. All the sameits an absolute thrill to drive with a very torquey 396 , muncie 4 speed and 4.10 out back.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Dan, the E denotes Eaton by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts