Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 camaro. Can you help me decode my rear axle numbers? Casting number is J89, founder CON1, test marks 67890, other test marks are 12345, the number on the front of the passenger side axle is C BP 1017 G1. I also noticed a casting number on the front side of the pumkin as GM 73. What do they all mean? Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi...J89 is October 8th of 69...and the assembly code of CBP 1017 is also in line with a late '69 build 1970 Nova rearend as someone else has listed. I think they were still making 69 Camaros till late 1969, very early 1970....but I dont think a true Camaro rear would have a 1970 Nova code...as the Camaro code for 69 didnt have the C prefix...hope that helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kurt..I dont understand what you mean? Are you saying that 1969 Camaro rear end codes were 3 letters long with a C being the first letter? That would be a first for me...that is a 1970 model thing as far as I know. The tabled link doesnt show any 3 letter axle codes or any codes that begin with a C anyway. Ron

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
From that info:
"Later 69 (after 08A) cars could have received the 12-bolt 3969341 housing. Most of these later axles (10 or 12 bolt) would have also been stamped with the 1970 style three digit application code (e.g. CBT instead of just BT). "

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have heard that the latest documented build date of a 1969 Camaro was 11A...so this rearend being assembled October 17th...would have been hard pressed to find its way from either Warren, Buffalo or wherever it was assembled to make its way into a 1969 Camaro. Exceptions exist of course...but what most folks accept as "fact" is the rule...not the exceptions...although it is fun to read about them! Incidentally for you trivia guys...the Nova was built in Willow Run Michigan till '72 ..and the Camaro was built in either Norwood Ohio or Van Nuys CA..I dont know how the rearends could have been mixed up. Perhaps what happened is that late in the assembly run, they ran out of "Camaro" coded rears and had some Nova ones shipped to the assembly plants...but it seems more likely to me that the rearend was swapped at some point. Someone once said..the simplest answer is most often true. The Nova wasnt built with the Camaro in the same assembly plant (Van Nuys CA) till 1972 model year.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
An 11A Camaro could have hit the Chevrolet side of the plant as late as November 13th; an October 17th axle would have no problem meeting that date, or two weeks earlier, for that matter. Read the CRG information again. Yes, we know where Camaros were built. :yes:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
It is unlikely that a "Nova coded" assembly would end up in a Camaro. However, many assemblies were coded for both vehicles....rear being one of them. If you look at decode books, like Chevy by the Numbers, you will see that there are numerous incidences where an assembly was used for multiple applications.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy, I'm learning a lot from you guys just from some of the replies. And helping me to understand and dig deeper. My VIN is 124379N704172, other codes are: ST69 12437 NOR 157183 BDY, 65 B Paint, X-11, TR 723, 10D. By all the numbers could my car have been an SS? Or what other options or numbers would I have to have? I know it was built Oct. 4th wk. I have a black vinyl top but by the paint numbers dones that mean it had black stripes. Original color Olympic gold with midnight green standard bucket seats. Sorry to get off of the track of my original post but one thing led to another regarding the numbers. Back on track, would the rear end that I have been put into an SS?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts