Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 camaro and the rear end is going out. I took it apart and went to get a new ring and pinion. I have a ten bolt. When I got it home the ring fits perfict but the pinion has to small of splines to fit the yoke. As I do a little digging it turns out that who ever owned this car in the past put a 7.5 rear end in but put a 8.2 pumpkin and ring. I have never heard of that even being possible. Nor has any one I have talked to. Please let me know if this is some kind of shade tree fix or a real deal. Thanks

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't a Firebird rear end? The Firebird had a 27 spline pinion and the Camaro had a 25 spline pinion. The ring gear will bolt up to either one. You can get a sleeve to adapt a 25 spline 8.2 Chevy yoke to the 8.2 Pontiac housing and use 8.2 Chevy gears in it. I don't think 8.2 parts can be put in a 7.5 housing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were right about them no working together. I found out that the pinion spline I have is a weird size, it could be a firebird also, but 8.2 for sure. I took it to a rear end place and the guy is going to order me a new set. I wish I could have brought the rear end. I took all the guts. We will see on tues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts