Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side seems to be longer by .625". The inner most portion of my wheel well to the edge of the wheel is 12.5" on one side and 13.125" on the passenger. I just bought some new wheels and I got a backspacing that would push them out (I knew beforehand), as I plan on buying a narrowed 9" rear end.

My question is should I get it narrowed from stock f-body dimensions and take into account this odd extra bit of length or get even tubes on both sides?

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
My thoughts are since buying another rear axle assembly, measure the various points of the body to the springs.
Quarter panels can be anywhere, but where is the springs to the inner wheelwell, and other points of the body?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the leaf spring, they're both about 1.75" away from the inner wheel well.

So it's not typical to have this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
My driver side was 0.3125" longer than the passenger side. The measurements were taken from the center of the car to the outside edge of the quarter panel wheel house lip.

I think your measurements are typical of a car built in the 1960s.

I cut my axle to compensate for the different lengths. The edge of my tires are the same distance from the outside wheelhouse lips. I have unequal axle tube lengths. I did this for purely cosmetic reasons.

·
Retired
26,641 Posts
These cars were fairly close from the factory. Workers in the 60s and 70's took a little pride in their work. Having to cut an axle tube and shorten an axle on one side isn't a common thing! After 45 years or so lots happens to a cars overall structure and who knows what repairs were done and how well it was performed.

Measure your car as Everett suggests and find out exactly where the quarters, frame rails, springs are off and look for a solution before sticking a new rear end under the car. Also measure your existing axle housing and perches, it's very possible there has been work done (mono to multi perches for example) that is causing the housing to not mount centered...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts