Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping my rear end and I want to paint the new rear end before I install. Does anyone any suggestions on what type of paint to use? I was thinking of painting it dark titanium.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sixty-Seven. Is the underneath been redone ?? How about the front. I think it depends on what your after, if it's touring then Titanium might look great. I prefer the original black or gray/cast colors when I rebuild my cars. It really depends on what your after. Post a few pictures of your car, that way we can see what your looking at..

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
my theory is that anything under the car should be as invisible as possible, or look like it came from the factory and hasn't been modified. that's why i didn't paint the 8.5 rear i put under my Nova before installation- after a few months, the thing got some surface rust and looks like it came from the factory under the car 31 years ago. of course, i aint building a show car, either. if i was gonna paint it (which i might do this winter), it would be with rustoleum flat or semi gloss black. of course, you could do like my one cousin likes to do and paint the whole damn axle hot pink. i don't know what's wrong with that guy sometimes...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A local ProStreeter uses Krylon for undercar things like the rear, his 9" rear looks awsome in gloss black.
He says it dries pretty quick, and it does look AWSOME!
I used Duplicolor engine enamel, it came out nice, but nothing like his krylon did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Between the Krylon & Chevy Restoration Chassis Black, they are hard to beat!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have been using Rustoleum semi gloss and flat black. The flat black actually looks a little grey and I use it for things like hood hinges, latches, springs etc.

The best part is the price -- get it from Walmart in spray cans for small parts and quarts for the spray gun.

Flat black may give you the look you are after.

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey sixty-seven. I used the Krylon semi-gloss black, with rust inhibitors then shot it with high-temp high gloss clear. You'll be amazed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts